petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our 65lbs male labrador ate 1/3 of a Dove bar of soap. What if anything do we need to do

Our 65lbs male labrador ate 1/3 of a Dove bar of soap. What if anything do we need to do for him

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

Can you tell me how long ago this happened?

Dr Z :

Has he had any GI upset or vomiting?

Customer:

about 45 minutes to an hour ago.

Customer:

none yet?

Dr Z :

There are no toxic properties to bar soap ingestion. At most, there may be some vomiting or diarrhea, which helps to remove the irritating substance anyway.

Dr Z :

I would not offer any food for the next twelve hours or so. Limit water to small amounts at a time so as not to stimulate vomiting.

Dr Z :

Keep him in a place that is easy to clean if vomiting or diarrhea occurs!

Dr Z :

I hope it doesn't.

Customer:

ok I'm grateful for your advice. He just ate a 1 1/2 cups of his food about 20 minutes prior. Just FYI...do you think he needs to be watched overnight?

Dr Z :

No, this is not a major concern. I would not be too surprised if he vomits, but I don't think he needs to be watched overnight.

Dr Z :

It is always the Labs!

Customer:

Isn't that the truth..... thank you very much, goodnight

Dr Z :

You are very welcome and I hope everyone in your household has a restful night. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you tonight.

Hi George,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Z
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the follow up. All is well here....I noted a slight decrease in his desire for activity even after waking the next morning. Worked him back to full size meal over a day and a half. No vomiting or diarrhea....he /we were lucky this time.

Thanks again for the advice and follow up!

George

Great to hear. Thanks for replying!

If you have any questions in the future that I may help you with, ask for Dr Z in the question title or see my profile to request me. You can save my profile to your browser favorites with this link: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-0drz-4/