Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine

What would cause achicken to retain water in her gullet? Making

What would cause achicken to retain water in her gullet? Making her sick and eventually killing her. Have you ever heard of this before?
Hello and welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Gergg and I will try to help you today. Can you tell me a little more about the problem and how long it has been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had this happen to about 8 chickens,in my 20 years of raising them for eggs and as pets.Some last longer then others.Some seem to be getting better then take a turn for the worst.I have never been able to save one.And I have never had a rooster get it.The longest from start to death was about 4 months.They also have watery stool,which is no surprise,since they're full of liquid.They eat at first,but eventually they stop.When you pick them up near the end.Liquid comes out their mouths.

Thanks for that info. Anything that can block the digestive track can cause what you are seeing, commonly called crop stasis. Fiber from straw, non-digestable objects eaten, infection,tumor,reproductive problems and adhesions can cause this. It's going to take an avian vet to sort out which is the cause and hopefully correct it. The bird needs to be hydrated with fluids, checked for infections and possibly given drugs to increase the motility if the digestive tract.