Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

Hi, we had a problem this morning and read the bottle wrong

Hi, we had a problem this morning and read the bottle wrong when giving our dog her first dose of Gabapentin for pain. She is about 18 lbs and got almost 2.0 ml instead of 0.5 ml around 10 am. Now it is 5pm and she is walking a little funny, but seems OK otherwise. We had trouble putting it in the food and spilled a little too much but thought it was antibotics, so figured it would be no biggy. How long will it take for the medication to flush out of her systom. The nearest vet is over 2 hours away and I just spent $600 yesterday. They vet we went to is closed and I can not call till 8am to find out anything.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hello JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about Lily.

Rebeccavet :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Rebeccavet :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and I will do my best to help you.

Customer:

Hi

Rebeccavet :

If she got this dose at 10 this morning, she is probably going to be alright at this point.

Customer:

She is a little tippsy with her back legs, but seems OK other than that. It should be out of her system by tomorrow morning?

Rebeccavet :

Do you know the strength, how many milligrams per ml are in your liquid? Gabapentin only comes as a capsule, so your liquid was compounded ( a normal thing in veterinary medicine) and every compounder is different.

Rebeccavet :

It should be out of her in 24 hours, yes.

Customer:

75mg/ml on the paper, going to verify on the bottle.

Rebeccavet :

That is not a very dangerous dose. Some dogs need that many milligrams per kilogram to get pain control.

Rebeccavet :

She could have some diarrhea from it.

Customer:

Yea the bottle matches. Good to know, we don't have to rush to the emergency hospital. I figured it is a little late for that now anyway.

Rebeccavet :

Yes, no need to run 2 hours tonight from my research.

Rebeccavet :

Hope you all have a good night.

Rebeccavet :

Is there anything else I can answer?

Customer:

I will call our vet in the morning. Thanks so much.

Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mel,
How is Lily today?