Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

Our goslins are only two weeks old and have down loss on their

Our goslins are only two weeks old and have down loss on their necks and backs? How can we stop this?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please keep trying . We need an answer. Thank you

Thank you ….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right professional for you! Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the professionals from accessing your question. You will receive an email when your professional has responded. If you want to cancel, please let me know, and I will do that for you. Thank you for your continued patience.

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you today. I am no poultry expert but the first thing I would look for is the northern fowl mite (ornithissus sylvarum). It tends to infest head, neck and rump causing itching and feather loss. Close exam or an acetate tape prep can help find them. Treatment is dusting with pyrethrin powders available at most feed stores, or 5% carbaryl (kills bees though). Trauma from the goslins pecking at each other can also be a factor. Are the goslings eating and thriving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the goslins are eating and drinking. I was told we should not have put them in water as they lose their oil on their skin and also, no need for the tetracycline.

Thank you for your help and where would we find acetate tape?

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.
Acetate tape is a clear "scotch tape" available at office supply stores. It is pressed over several affected areas and examined under a microscope looking for mites or other parasites
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years experience in general veterinary medicine