Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I have a 20 pound labrador retriever pup who has a mild ear

I have a 20 pound labrador retriever pup who has a mild ear infection both ears. Was given Surolan drops to administer to ear via syringe 0.3ml to each ear every 12 hours. Well this morning I dont know how I did this but I accidentally put double dose in one ear. It is of course Sunday and vets arent open here minus emergency. Do I need to be afraid of overdose here? If so what should i do? Puppy is sleeping right now. Ahhhhhhh.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 12 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Rumble today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

You can breath a sigh of relief as the double dose that he received today should not cause any adverse effects. If anything, the worst that will happen is his ear will be extra greasy today as the excess meds will work their way out. Keep in mind that when ear meds are deposited in the ear, they actually set in the ear canal until they are absorbed, which can be days. I will frequently see dogs who haven't been dosed for days and the ear canals still have meds in them.

If you know which ear is the one that received the double dose, you can safely skip treating that ear again later tonight and go back to your normal dosing frequency tomorrow.

Enjoy the quiet while he sleeps......

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Oh my goodness thank you so much I was SO worried. You know when you panic following a stupid move and your brain scrambles a bit in response? Well that is what mine now is doing and I am 97% positive I know but am slightly doubting myself now. Normally intelligent lady but new puppy and crate training where sleep is concerned.....well I am sure you get it. In any event should I just skip treatment tonight of both ears to be safe? The infection was quoted as very mild by my vet...I would hate to do that ear a third time or what do you think? By the way I absolutely AM enjoying our brief quiet time.

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 12 months ago.
It would be fine to skip treating both ears tonight.

When we dispense medications to be administered, we take into account that there may be a few missed doses along the way anyway ;)

Skip tonight, resume back to normal schedule tomorrow.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you so very much and happy Sunday.

Pam and Rumble

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.