Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog takes two tablets of prednisone every twelve hours.

Customer Question

My dog takes two tablets of prednisone every twelve hours. Her last dose was at 6 pm yesterday. My husband just found one if the tablets on the floor and gave it to her. My question is do I give her two tablets at 6 am or should I just give her one now?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

Actually this is a very simple question to answer, used short term Prednisone has a very high margin of safety and very high doses are sometimes used in specific situations. So if you just give the normal two tablet dose at 6:00 am the chances are this will do no harm.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Megan. How is everything going?

Vet Answers