Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I need to interview a veterinarian since it is what I want

Customer Question

I need to interview a veterinarian since it is what I want to be. I need to ask a few questions
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

What questions do you have? I am happy to help!

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I am Bailey and I am working on a college essay. I have a few questions to ask you.

1. What inspired you to become a veterinarian?

Good morning, Bailey.

I came from a family of human doctors but I had such a love and compassion for animals that this is where it took me. I wanted to practice medicine on the creatures that could not help them selves.
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Bailey for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Are you sure you do not have any more questions?. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. What is your best advice for someone starting out in this field?

2. How has the field changed since you have been a veterinarian?

3. What do you like most about being a veterinarian?

4. Describe a typical day as a veterinarian.

5. What challenges do you face as a veterinarian?

6. What do you think are the most important skills/qualities required to be a veterinarian?

(I have limited answers available so I apologize for the multitude of questions in this post) Also is it alright if I have an email address from you in case my instructor needs to verify any information?

HI Bailey....Unfortunately, we cannot give out personal information on the site and can only work in the confines of the site. It will be ok, I am sure, if you print out this exchange and the expert verification and that will be adequate for your instructor.

BTW, Bailey, I LOVE talking about this profession that has given me so much...it is the greatest profession of any because of its great rewards.

1. best advice is to work as a volunteer in the field before making any commitments, I say this because there are some hard parts of this profession and it is not all playing with puppies and kittens. People thinking about this profession should work in it for a time to know if it is right for them.

2. The field has changed by the increase in technology and information. I started as a Mixed animal veterinarian working with large and small animals. It is very tough now to do this because of the vast knowledge required and the equipment needed for this. Everything is specialized now.

3. This profession, Bailey has huge rewards which is what I like the most. We are the "CSI" of the animal world since they cannot talk to us and we have to work through a mystery to save the animals life or make the life better. It is a challenge, fun and every day is different with its own challenges.

4. My typical day is surgery in the mornings with appointments in the afternoon. In my practice, 2 vets would stay in the office and one would go into the field working with cattle , horses, 4H pigs, goats and sheep. Every day is different.

5. The challenges is when you try your best and still have a bad outcome...working with life comes death and that is very hard. Working to save an animal that is the love of someone's life and having them die despite all your efforts is heartbreaking and difficult for us.

6. The most important skill for a good veterinarian is compassion and a good bedside manner. You can be the best vet in the world but if you cannot communicate with the client, you will not do well. WE end up dealing mostly with the people and not the animals and the more compassion and time spent explaining things to the client, the better. This makes you a very good vet.

Does that help, Bailey?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will explain the situation to her and I am sure she will understand. Thank you so much! I only have a few more questions for you.

1. What makes this a good field to work in?

2. What would you say is the most rewarding part of your job?

3. Why did you choose to be a veterinarian?

4. Do you have any interesting personal experiences while on the job that you would like to share?

5. What schooling or training was involved in becoming a veterinarian?

6. What do you think the new horizons for veterinary medicine will be?

Thank you for all of your help!

Hi Bailey...

There are many reasons that make this a good field....great working conditions , good pay and great people. I have done a puppy check on a special dog and then after 15 years, put the same dog to sleep due to cancer...so sad but rewarding that you have been a part of this animals life throughout. This is one of the most rewarding parts to me.

I have already explained why I chose this profession...something different every day and every day is a challenge.

I am blanking on experiences, Bailey except for the one I just told you about which I have done many times in my career. I have had rewarding times at emergency after emergency and working so hard that I could not find time to eat or sleep but still felt those rewards at saving animals and relieving pain.

I am afraid that the new horizons of veterinary medicine will be centered on money and not the animals. There will be specialties so you cannot follow your case and a lack of compassion and personal touch. If you maintain a small practice, you can keep this alive but the profession is moving away from that to large 10-15 doctor practices with little personal contact. I am sad about that, Bailey. It costs so much for the technology that we need that it is hard for a solo practitioner to handle this cost.

Is that what you needed, Bailey?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your help Dr. Loretta! That was exactly what I needed.

Excellent, Bailey...

I hope you will become a veterinarian...it is the BEST profession ever!!

Have a great day and good luck!
Hi Bailey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta