Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my hamsters right cheek is loosing fur and bald and red what

my hamsters right cheek is loosing fur and bald and red what should i do

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is Cookie scratching at this area?

Is the skin underneath red and irritated?

Is Cookie stilll eating well and active?

How long has this been going on?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has been scratching on her body but not the cheek the skin is irritated and red shes still running and i think eating

Thanks Alex....

Most likely this is an allergic reaction caused by something such as an insect bite or contact allergy. This can happen with mites as well but since you have treated Cookie for this, this may not be the problem.

For now, the best thing to do is to apply a Benadryl creme to this area every 6 hrs. This will sooth this area so it will stop itching. If there is a secondary pyoderma caused by Cookie scratching here, then betadine is applied every 6 hrs which will dry out this area so the organisms cannot grow...be it bacterial or fungal.

If this does not help within 1 week, then you will have to have your vet perform a skin scraping to help identify what is causing this so that the correct treatment can be initiated. In most cases, this will resolve this irritation, Alex.

Does that make sense to you, Alex?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Alex for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Cookie's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!