Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Knowledgable on pet behavior and health.
65104486

Hi I have a 5 month old male English staffy when I first got

Customer Question

Hi I have a 5 month old male English staffy when I first got him I noticed patches in his coat I took him to the vet he had a derma something a little bug he had 6 injections over 6 weeks dermadex. The patches went. But now over the last 3 weeks I've notice little lumps coming up over his back and sides n now there's heaps of them like 50 some have a little scab on them. He's scratches flat out. I live in the bush and can't get to the vet for a week. He's had all of his vaccination and is up to date with all wormer and heart worm and frontline. And help I would muchly appreciate as I love him to death and very worried for him. I've recently bought a medicated shampoo for eczema and dermatitis I've only used it once 2 days ago. It was really bad b4 I used it. And his diet has been the same for months chicken necks mince meat with olive oil and benaful dry food
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Veterinarian101 replied 1 year ago.

Veterinarian101 :

Hi, I am an experienced veterinarian and happy to help!

Before we start please note:

We are testing a new rating system. If you have any problem with it please let me know.

This is meant to be a continuous chat, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button, BEFORE rating, if more information is needed at any time.

Veterinarian101 :

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to like what I have to say but Kaos will still have Demodex.

Veterinarian101 :

I worked for 3 years under a veterinary dermatologist and Demodex is not considered cleared until there have been 3 totally clear skin scrapings each 2 weeks apart.

Veterinarian101 :

Your vet may have had one clear skin scraping after the initial 6 weeks of treatment but the should have continue treatment until they got 2 more clear skin scrapings 2 weeks apart each.

Veterinarian101 :

He needs to either continue to have the injections or you can switch to the sheep oral Ivermectin if you have access to it.

Veterinarian101 :

Can you see what I have written?

Customer : So these lumps r still the derma bug ??
Veterinarian101 :

Do you mean the scabs?

Veterinarian101 :

Sorry just checked you written history again - the lumps are what is called folliculitis

Customer : and this oral sheep stuff it's for sheep is it
Veterinarian101 :

This is where the mite (Demodex) lives and causes the lumps in the hair shafts.

Veterinarian101 :

This then causes itching and thus the scabs.

Veterinarian101 :

The sheep stuff is called Ivomec. It really needs to be dispensed from your vet due to possible reactions.

Veterinarian101 :

It is at a different dose rate to that given to sheep too.

Customer : So is there anything to sooth him til I get him to the vet my mother has some pills left over from her dog they stop itchy
Veterinarian101 :

What are the pills?

Veterinarian101 :

Cool/cold baths below 15 degrees Celsius can inactivate the scratch receptors in the skin for a period.

Customer : I'm not sure of the name
Veterinarian101 :

Can you telephone your mother?

Customer : So just but him in cool bath and get him back to the vet ASAP
Veterinarian101 :

What is the medicated shampoo called?

Customer : The pills r called tocopherol
Veterinarian101 :

Ok give me a minute.

Veterinarian101 :

Ok back now.

Customer : The shampoo is purina medicated shampoo for ezcema dermatitis
Veterinarian101 :

That is a Vitamin E basically - it will not help with the itchy.

Veterinarian101 :

It is more for dogs with allergies and mild conditions.

Veterinarian101 :

It will not hurt to use the medicated shampoo but Purina is not the best brand....

Veterinarian101 :

I really think you need to get back to the vet ASAP and make sure they treat the Demodex until they get 3 'clear' scrapings this time.

Customer : Ok so cool bath n vet then
Veterinarian101 :

Yes please

Veterinarian101 :

Can I help any further today?

Customer : No thanks
Veterinarian101 :

Ok - have a great weekend.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.