Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My goldens arthritis has suddenly become acute. Within 12

My golden's arthritis has suddenly become acute. Within 12 hours she lost her ability to stand and has become lethargic. Our vet ruled out disc & neurological issues and told us to discontinue rimadyl & start demarrex, but to wait between drugs. How long should she be off rimadyl before starting demarrex? And can I give her etodolac? She's 10 & weighs 65 lbs. thank you
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 10.5 year old girl Callie who is currently suffering from very bad arthritis. First and foremost, don't give any extra anti inflammatories to your girl - this means, definitely don't' give her any Etodolac. The Deramaxx as prescribed by your Vet will be fine and this can continue on from Rimadyl. The Deramaxx can start 48 hours after the last Rimadyl tablet your gave your girl. Make sure you give it with food and only give the dose that was prescribed by your Vet. Giving excessive anti inflammatories can have an affect on canine renal function and can even lead to gastrointestinal ulcers!

It would be a good idea to continue with the Tramadol as prescribed as well as this is a very good pain relief in these types of situations. For more information on the Deramaxx, please refer to this website: HERE

I hope this helps and just let me know if you have any further questions. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback ( 5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box
Hi Sara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Callie. How is everything going?

Pet Doc