Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My Dogs back is super itchy and his hair is falling out by

My Dog's back is super itchy and his hair is falling out by the handfuls, his skin looks dry and scaby like. The vet put him on anitbiotics and steroids which seemed to help for a bit but when he came off it got worse they have him on some vitemans which we put in his food but he is still itchy and is sensitive to the touch. They also took a sample of skin and didnt see any parasites. They did a blood test and everything was around normal. He did go to the groomers before this happened. Please help Im worried

Hello! Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. Is this anything like what the dry scabs look like?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They look similiar to that, dry and flakey and very sensitive to the touch

Thanks for the information this type of condition is likely seborrhea. Seborrhea is when a dog's skin produces dead skin flakes too fast. Because the dead skin flakes are trapped by the long hair the flakes build up in patches and cause severe itchiness and even infections because the patches of flakes trap moisture and allow bacteria to grow. Antibiotics and steroids can help and often will be needed periodically throughout your pooches life. You need to understand that seborrhea can only be proven for sure with a skin biopsy but it's very common and usually has the flaky patches you are seeing. The other thing you need to understand is that this condition is genetic and doesn't stop. The hallmark of managing this disease (remember no cure) is to remove the dead skin flakes when they are produced. In order to do this combing frequently with a fine tooth comb helps a lot and shampooing 1-3 times weekly with the following shampoo works the best:

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Hi Olivia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nemo. How is everything going?

Doctor Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We took him to the vet with the info you gave me and he gave us a shampoo to use on him to see if it will help