Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine

I have an orange winged amazon parrot who is about 30 years

I have an orange winged amazon parrot who is about 30 years old. Lately the bird has been sleeping more often than in the past. Also when sleeping he is making noises occasionally sort of like snoring. Is there anything wrong?
Hello and welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Miller and I will try to help you today. A couple questions up front. What is the birds diet? How long has he been having symptoms? Anything else abnormal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His diet has not changed. He is given Kaytee supreme parrot food. In addition he is given fresh vegetables like apples, oranges. This is the same diet he has been on for years.

To clarify about the sleeping. In the past he has only slept (hidden his head in his feathers) at night when his cage is covered. For the last few weeks he is sleeping during the day quite often. He also makes the 'snoring' sound occasionally when he is awake also. He has been having these symptoms for about 3 weeks now.

Thanks for that information. The unusual sleepiness combined with breathing noise suggests a problem in the respiratory system. Birds have a complex set of airways and air sacs that are subject to foreign bodies,infections with bacteria and fungi as well as several other problems. Your best bet is to have him seen by a vet familiar with parrots. Xrays or cultures may be needed and antibiotics should be begun.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gregg