Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine

I have an 18 month old Indian Ringneck Parrot who has just

I have an 18 month old Indian Ringneck Parrot who has just recently developed a weird tick/twitch with her foot. She just shakes the foot every 30 secs or so - I have looked at it - no sore/damage that I can see. It just keeps twitching all the time and I know it's distressing her. She doesn't seem to be in pain though I can touch it and she doesn't react. Do you know how I can help her? Tahnya

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am happy to wait for an expert - will this still fall within the $36 I have already spent if I do?

Thank you , you set the price, so no, there is not an additional charge….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right professional for you! Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the professionals from accessing your question. You will receive an email when your professional has responded. If you want to cancel, please let me know, and I will do that for you. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hello and welcome to JA. I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you today
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Gregg

Have you found anything out yet? I think she's getting worse - she is not eating and the twitch is constant and she is sad and distressed. the only time she doesn't twitch (and it's only her left leg) is when she's in the shower - it stops being as constant. She keeps shaking her foot like there's something wrong and she's so occupied with her leg and foot that she doesn't do anything else. She can use her leg to climb so nothing appears to be broken and when I touch it there doesn't appear to be any pain. I live on Thursday Island and there is no vet here. I didn't realise this website would take so long. I've been waiting 2 days for a response. The website advertises questions answered every 9 seconds. I would just like some help/advice for my bird. I'm now having to force feed her because she's lost so much weight.

Hello, sorry for the confusion.You were waiting for me and I was waiting for a response from you. Sorry pali is having problems. Your description sounds like a neuralgia or gout. What is needed is a blood panel to ID a likely cause of the neuralagia, or gout. Until then drugs like meloxicam or gabapentin can be effective in reducing the discomfort. Unfortunately there is not much you can do, on your own, at home to help pali out.

I checked with a few avian experts online and got a suggestion of housing pali in an old aquarium with a controllable heat source below it(heating pad on low). the heat should provide some relief for pali and reducing perching may help also. Just be careful not to overheat. Perhaps put the pad at one end so pali can move to or away from it

If you are comfortable with it, a bandage would provide padding and reduce self-trauma. Providing lots of paper or other things pali can shred could help by redirecting his attention

The consensus is that these cases are difficult to diagnose in birds( and people as well.) Infections with bacteria/fungi/virus, kidney or liver disease, gout, tumors pressing on nerves causing pain to be felt in the foot, arthritis and undiagnosed neuritis can be the cause here and diagnosis is going to take a good workup by an experienced avian vet

Again I want to apologize for your wait. Even though a misunderstanding, it is unfortunate and frustrating. I know I don't like to be kept waiting either. I look foreword to chatting with you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr Gregg

I have taken a video of Pali but I cannot upload videos to you - is there a way around this? Sorry about the confusion - I don't think it helps that we are in different timezones either. Will try somehow to see a vet

I hope things work out well for you and pali. I will check back in a few days to see how things are going. Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years experience in general veterinary medicine