Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

hello. my puppy is 5 months old. on his 2nd vacination, after

Customer Question

hello. my puppy is 5 months old. on his 2nd vacination, after a few days he contracted an infection which gave him yellowish dhiareah, medication was given and he recovered. last week he went to the vets for his 3rd vacination (on a tuesday) and on sunday we noticed he had been sick in the night, and was turned off food, then monday morning he had brown dhiareah, still loss of appetite and continuous vomiting when drank water, we took him to the vets who tested him for parvo and came back +, he is still there now after 1 whole day, on a drip and lots of injections, i spoke to the vet today who said he seemed to have perked up a bit, food and water has not been offered yet and i will be called tomorrow, do you think my baby will pull through this ordeal?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Wolf's condition. Unfortunately, the vaccines are not 100% effective and with a large exposure, Wolf could contract this disease.

The good news is that he does have the antibodies against this disease and since Wolf is a little older, his own immune system is maturing and he has a very good chance of coming out of this disease. The treatment is appropriate and I do believe that Wolf will come out of this unharmed.

With his maturing immune system and the vaccine on board, his body will fight this off. If Wolf was only 2 months, the prognosis would not be as good. For Wolf ,,the prognosis is very good.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats very positive, i have also mopped the house floors with bleach as advised by the vet, my dogs have a shingled area in the garden for a toilet, i normally use a very good garden disinfectant thats quite strong, will this do the job to aliminate the virus from the garden or should i use raw bleach and pour it everywhere?

I am really positive, Jane because I have seen so many at this age get over this. You are doing great for the floors but the yard is a different story, The parvovirus can remain in the environment for 6 months. Wolf will already be "Vaccinated" by having this disease so he may be safe but follow the instructions in this LINK to make sure your yard is free of this virus.

Does that help Jane? Please let me know if you have other questions...I know you are very worried and I am happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you so much, i dont have a lot of money but it was worth the payment as my spanish is not that good and their english is worse, i am very worried about him, i do have two other dogs, 1 is 3 and 1 is 5 years, they are both fully vaccinated, along with my 2 cats who are both over 3 years of age and fully vaccinated, and they all seem okay, although i will be keeping a close eye on them now. thank you for the link, i have opened it on a seperate tab to read shortly. i feel a little bit more relaxed knowing he has a good chance of pulling though, personally i think he may have caught this at the vets as came down ill a few days after his jab, but who knows. cant thank you enough for your help, just wish i didnt have to pay another 13gbp to let you know how he gets on, but thank you again for your positive words, i may sleep easier tonight. kindest regards

jane xx

You are very welcome, Jane!!

You do not have to pay any more to let me know how Wolf is doing...that is all included.

Why do you need to speak spanish? Where are you located?

Hang in there, Jane. With good treatment, Wolf will come through this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

because we moved to spain a few years ago, i can speak quite a bit but iam far from fluent, and the vet speak english but not very well, but at least there is an effort made on both sides. how do i let you know how he is, do i leave this page open and use the reply to expert tomorrow? iam not sure. but thank you again for all your help and advise, its very appreciated and maybe tomorrow i will get some good news about my little baby boy.

kindest regards

jane x

WOW!! What a great experience being in Spain!! I am in Honduras so speaking spanish is important here...I feel your pain!!

I will check in with you, Jane in a few days but if you want to get ahold of me, just reply to this question. You will not be charged again and I would love to know how Wolf is doing.

Tiene buen dia, Jane....Wolf tambien!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

muchas gracias XXXXX XXXXX x

De nada, Jane!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello again, i have just had a call from the pet hospital and wolf has just eaten some food, he said as long as he dont sick in the night we can go and get him tomorrow afternoon. iam so so relieved my little baby is going to be okay, just as you said he would, clever girl! wish i could send you a photo of him to show you him, he is a X breed with a norweigan lunderhund and something else, has 6 toes on both his back feet, and his front legs can spread really wide, and has a wolf like look about him, hense his name lol, i cant tell you how so very happy i am, i will most certainly sleep well tonight as the past 2 nights have been bad for me with worry, my baby boy is coming home YAY!!! thank you agian, you are a very talented person and should be very proud of your profession, you are amazing. am going to rate you EXCELENT SERVICE, as you have helped me and also been very kind and caring for me and my puppy. Bless you, and keep up the good work xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh Jane...I am so happy for you!! That is so great!!

Your vet us right that this is a very good sign and I believe that Wolf will come home soon.

I would LOVE to see a picture of him...he sounds really cool!! Try to send in in this post using the attachment or send it to:

info@justanswer.com with this question and they will forward it to me...

Thanks so much Jane...I love good news!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have tried attaching a photo of wolf on this message but it says i do not have permission to do so, so will try the other method for you. xxxxxx

Sorry Jane...it is complicated to do this and I am not very computer savvy...I look forward to seeing the picture..

Thanks!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
I did get Wolfie's pictures and he is so handsome and so vute!! I certainly understand, Jane why you love him so much! Thank you so much. It is so nice for me to see Wolf.

I am hoping that this morning is finding him well and happy.

Thank you so much, Jane for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Wolf's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply to this question.

Have a great day!!

Good morning, Jane. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Wolf. Is he doing any better? Thanks!