Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

i have a question concerning parvo-distemper vaccination specicially

i have a question concerning parvo-distemper vaccination specicially vanguard 5 i need to find out how long the live virus in the shot stays live in my dogs system i need this info because my husband had a stem cell transplant on 8-2-2012 and cannot e exposed to any live viral vaccines for 1 year i tried contacting pfsver the manufacturer but they would give me no info thanks i really need this info
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 1 year ago.

Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron

Dr Aaron :

Please let me know when you're available.

Customer:

i am here dr aaron

Customer:

i am available now

Dr Aaron :

Hello

Dr Aaron :

When did your dog receive the vaccination?

Customer:

she hasnt she is due to have it by 4-30-2013

Dr Aaron :

I see.

Customer:

i need to get this vaccine in her there have been 6 reported cases in western massachsetts my friend will take her whille the virus is live in her system need to know how long that live virus is active after she recieves the shot

Dr Aaron :

i can understand your concerns with your husband and your dog.

Dr Aaron :

The distemper vaccination is usually labeled as an annual vaccination.

Dr Aaron :

Very often the distemper and parvo components of the vaccine can offer protection for the body for multiple years.

Dr Aaron :

Give this, ever dog is completely different.

Dr Aaron :

The only way to adequately determine if an individual dog is protected from a previously given vaccination would be to submit vaccination titers.

Customer:

thats not my issue i need to know if she gets the shot on 4-25 for example how long is the parvo live virus active live in her system

Dr Aaron :

Ah. I see.

Dr Aaron :

Be right back.

Customer:

ok standing by

Dr Aaron :

speaking with an internist currently...be right back.

Customer:

ok

Dr Aaron :

sorry for the delay.

Dr Aaron :

I definitely understand your concerns.

Dr Aaron :

In speaking with the internist, we are both of the opinion that your husband is at absolutely no risk if your dog were to receive a distemper vaccination.

Dr Aaron :

distemper vaccinations are either killed or modified-live. With either type, the patient receiving the vaccination does not shed the bacteria/virus in the vaccination.

Dr Aaron :

I would not hesitate in giving your dog either of the vaccinations (killed or modified live).

Dr Aaron :

If you feel more comfortable in holding off from vaccination right now, that is fine as well...vaccination titers can be sent off to establish if the vaccination needs to be given at all.

Customer:

so the vanguard 5 is a modified live virus

Dr Aaron :

that is correct

Dr Aaron :

have you spoken with your husband's doctors about your concerns?

Customer:

so do you know how long this modified live virus stays live in the dog

Dr Aaron :

It is unlikely to be long at all...the vaccine stimulates an immune response from the patient's immune system. The vaccine itself does not provide the protection by living dormant in the body.

Dr Aaron :

It is modified-live..in that it CANNOT be shed.

Dr Aaron :

there is no risk of transmission of the virus following vaccination.

Customer:

see dr thats the issue my husband oncologist is telling me i need a time frame for this parvo virus not long at all is not a time frame this is serious concerning the fragile condition stell cell transplant patients are in

Dr Aaron :

I definitely understand your concern, but your husband is not at any danger if Dru were to receive a distemper vaccination.

Customer:

i tried to get this info from pfizer zoetis but they would not even refer me to one of their researchers

Dr Aaron :

I can call them.

Dr Aaron :

I believe that your husband's oncologist is mistaken or that there is some miscommunication.

Dr Aaron :

I'm calling them right now :)

Customer:

do you have the number i still have it

Dr Aaron :

im on the phone with them right now :)

Customer:

wow great

Dr Aaron :

not a problem

Dr Aaron :

on hold for a second.

Customer:

ok thanks i just wnt to be really sure on this my husband has been thru so much i just cant take any chances

Dr Aaron :

Thank you for your patience.

Dr Aaron :

I spoke with Dr. Andre from Zoetis.

Dr Aaron :

She definitely understood your concerns with your husband.

Dr Aaron :

She said that there is no specific research that has been performed to give you an answer with your stated question.

Dr Aaron :

Examples have shown that a dog receiving a parvo vaccination could have a false positive reading on a parvo test 5-12 days after vaccination but this is not hard fast or published material.

Dr Aaron :

She suggested to touch base with your husband's oncologist in the end.

Dr Aaron :

Here would be the options:

Dr Aaron :

1. Use modified live vaccination and keep Dru at a relative / friend's house for 30 days (well past presumed possible false positive readings of the parvo test).

Dr Aaron :

2. Utilize Merial's vaccinations:

Dr Aaron :

RECOMBITEK® rDistemper & RECOMBITEK® Canine Parvo

Dr Aaron :

Both of these vaccinations do not include any virus rather just a portion of the virus's DNA/RNA. They are avirulent.

Dr Aaron :

3. Perform vaccination titers --> it is likely that your dog does not require vaccinations at this time. This option would 100% eliminate any possible problems with your husband and also assure that Dru is also protected.

Dr Aaron :

Is there anything else I can help you with this afternoon?

Customer:

no thats great news that there is an alternative vaccine that i can give her that eliminates this whole live virus issue i cant thank you enough i am going to go with option 2 and know she is up to date on her shots thankyou thankyou

Dr Aaron :

you're very welcoem.

Dr Aaron :

welcome.

Dr Aaron :

I would greatly appreciate a positive rating so that I may be paid for my time.

Dr Aaron :

Take care! :)

Customer:

thankyou god bless

Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 1 year ago.
Hi Terri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dru. How is everything going?

Dr Aaron