Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

i have a auto salvage yard and one of the stray dogs ive taken

i have a auto salvage yard and one of the stray dogs ive taken in over the years has always been slim and trim and today i went out and saw that his belly is real swollen and he is not his usual self (jumping and act crazy) he is just laying almost looks like gas but im not not sure if a customer (because customers are on the yard all the time ie.a u pull it auto salvage)gave him something he shouldn't have or what.

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

How old is this dog?

What breed do you think?

Is he still eating?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure on the age maybe 5or 6 yrs. mix breed with marble like eyes like husky but he is a very short hair,tall and skinny .like a say he just showed up here and we didnt want him to get hit or of my guys said he was trying to throw up the other far as i know he has been eating,my workers usually feed him .he is not a big eater

Thanks for that information....

I was wondering if he was a deep chested dog since a sudden bloated appearance can be due to a Gastric Torsion. This causes the stomach to twist so that it is blocked at both ends. This causes dry heaves and depression.

A Bloated appearance can be due to liver disease or heart disease and you will only know this if you take him to a vet.

the best thing to do for now is to give him Gas X, 1/2 tablet every 4 hrs. Have your guys feed him only rice and boiled chicken in case this is a digestive disturbance. If he gets worse, even after giving this medication, you will have to have him seen by a vet to know for sure. If this is a Gastric Torsion, this could be fatal for your guy.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta