Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

what would it be when a dog vomiys mainly when he eats,also

what would it be when a dog vomiys mainly when he eats,also loss of weight

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

We typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.

The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.

This is what I would do for now if you want to try something at home:
1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

forgot to menshion its like a white muckas type of vomit i already give him fresh chicken with veg of a night time meal he dosnt vomit of a day time just after his night time meal

If it's more time dependant, then we usually think of some type of gastric reflux. I woudl start on an antacid and see if it helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so where would i get the stuff from that i require to give him," the antacid or the famotidine first"

You can pick it up over the counter at any human pharmacy.
Hi Eric,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jo Jo. How is everything going?