Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

Dear Doctor,I am worried about my pet bare-eyed cockatoo.

Customer Question

Dear Doctor,

I am worried about my pet bare-eyed cockatoo. At about this time last year, she laid her first two eggs. It was obvious that she was in pain. For hours, she shuddered, grabbing the top of her cage with her beak as well as her talons. A few days later, the same thing happened, and the second egg finally was laid.

Two days ago, I noticed that she was grabbing the top of her cage with her beak and shaking for about 10 to 25 minutes. As she had done with laying eggs last year, she angled her rear and tail up. I stayed with her until the shaking suddenly stopped and she began to dance up and down, make clicking noises, and other things that seemed normal.

A few minutes ago, I noticed her shaking almost violent, grabbing the cage, and lifting her rear and tail iup. I stood next to her and spoke softly, and I'd give her a light pet After a while, she lifted a foot and lightly held on to my index finger. I watched her and focused on her anus. She was definitely pushing something out and having a hard time of it. I could see it was something white. Ten minutes pr so later, she pushed a large amount of a white liquid. Its texture looked like the texture of mucus.. After than, she stopped shaking, climbed on to a perch, and has been sitting there calmly. She just had a bowel movement that was larger than her other droppings and was uniformly mustard yellow.

Does my cockatoo need to go to the vet?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you today. I see you are offline now so I will await your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm confused. What should I reply to? Thank you for helping me and Hermosa out!

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully you get this. Hermosa needs to be seen by a vet who is familiar with treating birds. I believe hermosa has had trouble passing eggs, in the past, and now has had one rupture in her. This can lead to serious problems pretty fast. You should get her in as soon as possible.

Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back with you. How is hermosa doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr. Gregg,

My father doesn't want to lend me the money to see an avian vet nor drive us there. Can you tell me what kind of serious problems can develop so that I can persuade him to take Hermosa to see her vet? I am very worried about her. I hope that if I can tell my father the specific risks my poor cockatoo is facing that he will help us. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Erica Efros

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to say but, untreated, this could well result in severe bacterial or fungal infection and adhesions. Odds are the egg binding will recur in the future. All this could result in serious illness or even death, I'm afraid. I wish there was something more to tell you to do, but this requires an avian vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. I pled with my father and showed him what you wrote, and he's agreed to lend me money and drive Hermosa and I to an avian vet as soon as possible. I am calling places in Greater Boston first thing in the morning. Hermosa is like my own baby to me, and you may have helped save her life.

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! I hope all goes well for you and hermosa. I will check back in a few days to see how things are going. Good luck. Dr. Gregg