Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

My yorkie was rushed to vets yesterday as he nearly stopped

My yorkie was rushed to vets yesterday as he nearly stopped breathing, we still don't know what's exactly wrong with him but he's on strong anti-inflammatory drugs and anti-biotics, he had numerous injections as well as being put in an oxygen tent, I brought him home last night and have been watching him like a hawk, this morning I tried feeding him his normal food but he was having none of it, then I tried chopped cooked chicken which eat ate but within half and hour brought it all up, now he just sleeping all the time and looks so sorry for himself! Could this just be the shock of the last 24 hours?
Regards kat
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm sorry to hear about this little one's situation. To best help at this time, I need you to answer a few questions.

1) How old is he?
2) What anti-inflammatory and antibiotic is he on?
3) Did they do chest x-rays on him?
4) How long ago did he last vomit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's coming up 10 years old, he had X-ray, heart and valve all good, lungs good, and had a tube put down his throat, no tumours or shadows! The only thing they found was some membrane that's in his throat had dropped slightly and his throat was inflamed on both sides. The drugs he's on are prednoral 5mg, 1 tab per dag for a month and doxoral 75mg 1/2 tab twice a day. He was last sick 1 & 1/2 hour ago. We live in holland so my vet are dutch but very good. Even the vet said he,s a mystery and that it was very extreme reaction he had yesterday
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that good information. That is good that the x-ray looked all good! The membrane in the throat may have been referencing the soft palate or his laryngeal folds. Sometimes these tissues can become inflammed and make breathing more challenging due to their occluding the respiratory passage way. The being sick shouldn't be associated with this. The being sick may be due to the medications that were started up. The doxoral is a doxycycline antibiotic and one of the most common side effects of it is nausea / vomiting. So this would be highly suspect here. At this time, I would let him sleep as long as he's not breathing hard / with increased effort / sound and not vomiting any more. I would let him rest and let your vet know in the morning that he had the vomiting. I like to give this medication with food to try and help it to not irritate the stomach to cause nausea. If he continues to vomit, act painful, or not start eating and drinking in the morning - he should be rechecked by your vet there. Hopefully he was just more sensitive to this dose and future doses will be better tollerated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, his breathing is fine while resting, only when he starts moving around he struggles a bit, I appreciate he went through a lot in the last 24 hrs, I will phone my vet to update them now.
Thank you Kat graham
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to have helped out here tonight Kat. I'm hoping that this little one is feeling better here soon. Let him rest here tonight!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?