petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

my cat is getting a ear flush under anesthrsia. I looked at

my cat is getting a ear flush under anesthrsia. I looked at the treatment plan and it states morphine injection 15mg/ml and propofol 10mg/ml. also convenia 80mg/ml (cefovecin). It will cost @ $400. Is it safe? I worry about the morphine & propofol!!
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It is important to visualize the ear drum, especially if she has had an ear infection for awhile. If the ear drum is not intact or if it looks like there is evidence of infection in the middle ear, it should be flushed out as well. These need to be treated aggressively. They can be difficult to see without the aid of a video otoscope which magnifies and provides a much better light source than just the hand held otoscope. Skull xrays are sometimes needed if it is uncertain if the middle ear is involved. Often a culture is taken to determine the best antibiotic for treating the infection. It sounds as if they are on the right track with diagnosing and treating her ear infection.

As far as the meds being used, unless Missy has underlying heart disease which has been identified, these are a commonly used combination. The morphine is often part of a pre-med and used not just for sedation, but for pain control during the procedure. The ear infections are very painful. Propofol is very safe and is usually given to effect as an inducing agent to allow a tracheal tube to be placed so she can be maintained under gas anesthesia for the duration of the procedure. These are very often used together safely. The cost that you are being quoted sounds acceptable (actually less expensive than it would be at our clinic.) Everything that you have described sounds to be about par for the course and I would have no reason the worry about a problem in the hands of a veterinarian that has experience with this.

I hope this is helpful. I hope all goes well with her procedure!

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Hi Robin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Missy. How is everything going?

Dr Z