Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

I recently took my Neo Mastiff in for some consmetic surgery

I recently took my Neo Mastiff in for some consmetic surgery basically, the entropion (spell check) surgeries hadn't solved the problem so, wanting to fix the problem once and for all. We took it to the next step and under the vets recommendation took him in for what was basically a face lift.

This would have been his 4th time under for various eye surgeries. Cherry eye and entropion so he was no rookie when it came to going under. However this time, he apprarently had a bad reaction to the morphine which eventually lead to cardiac arrest. I haven't recieved the paperwork yet but I believe he said it was malignant hypothermia caused by the morphine. Rare, but it happens and even when it does happen they can usually bring them back to normal.

Syptoms were increased body temperature which eventually lead to organ failure and eventually cardiac arrest. He was a male at approx 2 years old and slightly over 150lbs.

At this point I'm just looking for answers and validation. I miss my boy and am having a hard time not blaming myself since it wasn't a necessary surgery that I took lightly and it cost him his life. Wishing I would have chosen another time or another procedure to prevent long term eye problems...

Anyways, what I'm wondering is how common is this? How often do dogs die from it? How often are they not able to bring them back to a normal state when it does happen etc? What are the chances that the vet made a mistake?

The vet is new to me but had a complete copy of his medical records and actually came highly recommended and had one of the best ratings I've seen for any vet office or business of any kind for that matter.

Just looking for answers and any help is appreciated.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 1 year ago.

Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron

Dr Aaron :

Please let me know when you're available and we can discuss your questions.

Customer:

I'm here

Dr Aaron :

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

Dr Aaron :

I can only imagine how difficult this is for you.

Dr Aaron :

Please, please, please know that there is absolutely nothing that you could have done to prevent this / know that this was to happen.

Dr Aaron :

Malignant hyperthermia is definitely real, but is VERY infrequently seen in the veterinary world.

Dr Aaron :

As you can imagine, because of the extremely limited numbers, there is limited research in this area.

Dr Aaron :

What appears to be the case is that malignant hyperthermia is secondary to genetics.

Dr Aaron :

Because of this, there is no way to pick-up on the possibility/ presence of the gene change with blood work / physical exam.

Dr Aaron :

Most often the temperature spike is very sudden and unfortunately once it occurs often times there is little that can be done.

Dr Aaron :

Often times the cause of death is a secondary severe spike in the patient's potassium levels that result in a fatal heart arrythmia.

Dr Aaron :

I can definitely understand that it is easy to blame yourself, but definitely do not do so.

Dr Aaron :

You had the surgery performed with his best interest / quality of life in mind.

Customer:

So it's basically a roll of the dice and there's absolutely no way to know if they're at risk? Anything that would increase the risk?

Dr Aaron :

No one could have predicted this outcome.

Customer:

Thank you... I know that but at the same time it's hard to not feel responsible.

Dr Aaron :

I haven't been able to find any increasing factors.

Dr Aaron :

roll of the dice..yes...but not even 1 : 100,000 chance.

Customer:

Just came as such a shock with him being in good health, young and such a simple surgery.

Dr Aaron :

I would have recommended/performed the surgery without a second thought.

Customer:

Wow....

Customer:

That's depressing that of such a low chance... it was my boy who is that 1:100, 000

Dr Aaron :

(obviously that is a general estimate, but I have never seen a case and none of the doctors I work with have had a patient with this)

Customer:

So the chances of it being vet error is pretty unlikey?

Customer:

I assume the dosage is pretty cut and dry? "X" amount per 10 lbs or whatever?

Dr Aaron :

definitely

Dr Aaron :

exactly

Dr Aaron :

for morphine and other pain meds there tends to be a general dosage / body weight

Customer:

That's what I assumed... just with there not being much information online I just needed some validation... guilt is weighing heavy on me.

Dr Aaron :

I'm so sorry :(

Customer:

Thanks for your time...

Dr Aaron :

you're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with this afternoon?

Customer:

That's it... thank you.

Dr Aaron :

Take care ! I would greatly appreciate a positive rating.

Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Aaron