Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Hello a budgie at my work had a very bad case of mites I took

Customer Question

Hello a budgie at my work had a very bad case of mites I took her to the vet and got given some drops. I have to put one drop I every two weeks. Today I caught her and I accidentally put a bit too much I wipped most of it off. She was moving too much that's why this happened will she be ok? She was fine when I left I hope she's ok
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I understand your concern and I would like to help, but I must know what product you used to treat the mites. Do you remember what you used?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello it's ivomec

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's in a syringe there is only 3 ml in the needle. It's only the second time I have used it. she needs one more dose in two weeks time it was hard to do. I am going in to check on her tomorrow.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Okay thank you, Mel.
A one drop per dose, 3 ml is a huge amount! I assume you were applying it topically, rather than by injection, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I didn't put 3 mls on the bird there is 3 mls in the whole container I didn't put all that on the bird. on the label it's says 0.20 x ivomec.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

on the label it says 0.20 ivomec there is still heaps left in the needle. it goes on the back of the neck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am getting worried as I haven't heard from you is it bad is it? i did wipe it of gently.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Mel,
I apologize for the delay, there was a glitch on the site that wouldn't allow me to answer your replies. Sorry!
Unless she received a truly massive overdose, she should be just fine. Unfortunately, there is no antidote for ivermectin (Ivomec) toxicity, so should she become ill, all you can do is support her by providing external heat and trying to encourage her to eat. An electric heating pad set to "medium" or "low" placed under half of a shoebox sized container is an excellent way to provide heat for her.
In all likelihood, though, she'll probably be just fine.
If you have any further questions, or if I may be of any further assistance to you, please let me know.
Kindest regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats ok. No it wasn't a huge amount I feel relieved. I have learnt my lesson I am going to take her to the vet for the next dose I don't want to go through that stress again. Thankyou very much for you help I really appreciate it I will keep an eye on her going in tomorrow morning to check on her and the other birds thank you

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
You're most certainly welcome. I hope everything works out just fine.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello I checked on the budgie this morning and she was fine does that mean she will be ok. She looked good

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, Mel.
Yes, ivermectin toxicity shows up as neurological symptoms and the onset is rapid rather than delayed. I think you're both "through the woods"!
If I may ever be of any assistance to you, please let me know.
I'll check back in a few days, just to be sure.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's great news! I have brought an eye drop for the next dose. I am so glad she will ok I felt terrible

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Don't be too hard on yourself, this is all too easy to do. Just be glad it was ivermectin with its wide safety margin!
You are a very special individual in that you cared enough to treat her and to pay for help when you made a mistake. Folks like you make my profession a real joy, Mel! Thank you for caring.
Kindest regards,
Dr. Bob