Dr_Kitty
Dr_Kitty, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years practice in medicine and surgery
58691978

I have a 16 year old spade mix terrier that my Vet in Mexico

I have a 16 year old spade mix terrier that my Vet in Mexico said she has herpes.
He suggested to burn the lesions off. Is this the route to go?
Many thanks
Betty
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr_Kitty replied 1 year ago.

Dr_Kitty :

where are the lesions?

Dr_Kitty :

hello

Customer:

There is one on her nose and two on her back and one on her side.

Dr_Kitty :

i don't know of a skin herpes that dogs get

Dr_Kitty :

have you submitted any of them for pathology?

Customer:

Yes, my Vet sent a sample to a lab here in Mexico and it came back

Customer:

as herpes?

Dr_Kitty :

i have never heard of that, especially not in the mucosa

Dr_Kitty :

did a pathologist read the tissue sample?

Customer:

Sorry, I have no idea. Should I have re tested by another Vet?

Dr_Kitty :

i would have one removed (maybe punch biopsy with local numbing) since your dog is very old

Dr_Kitty :

and sent to a veterinary pathologist

Dr_Kitty :

if it is mast cell tumor, i would not burn it

Dr_Kitty :

other rule outs would be round cell tumor, mast cell, benign skin lesions, papillomas, etc

Dr_Kitty :

can you upload a picture?

Customer:

Many thanks for your suggestions. Sorry, don't know how to upload a picture.

Dr_Kitty :

to get the real story a pathologist needs to read it

Dr_Kitty :

you can aspirate some cells and check on a microscope, but a biopsy is better

Customer:

I thought a pathologist did read it as my vet took a biopsy and it came

Customer:

back as herpes.

Dr_Kitty :

hmm. that is totally weird. I don't know of any skin lesions caused by herpes in an adult dog

Dr_Kitty :

who said they were tumors?

Customer:

Hey, I am in Mexico and have had Blanca seen by two Vets. One says

Customer:

tumors and the other said herpes. ?????

Dr_Kitty :

and both sent off biopsies?

Customer:

No, only the last one. Perhaps I should have her retested by yet another

Customer:

Vet?

Dr_Kitty :

i would have it redone if it isn't too risky

Dr_Kitty :

herpes usually cant be cured; stays in the body forever, like in humans, just goes dormant

Dr_Kitty :

are the lesions bothering her?

Customer:

They bleed at times especially the one on her nose as she rubs it and the

Dr_Kitty :

and he thinks burning it will resolve it?

Customer:

on on her back just seems to bleed once in a while as it erupts.

Customer:

I guess. But if you think that is not advisable.

Dr_Kitty :

i would verify what it is first. obviously, i can't see it because we are on here; if they have a laser, then burning it may be beneficial

Customer:

Okay, you have been very helpful. I will have her retested.

Dr_Kitty :

let me know if you need more help

Dr_Kitty :

youre taking good care of your older lady :)

Customer:

Great, will do. Of course we love our elders.

Dr_Kitty :

take care

Customer:

Thank you once again.

Dr_Kitty :

welcome. hope it helped

Dr_Kitty, Veterinarian
Experience: 6 years practice in medicine and surgery