Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian

We got a small baby bunny about 7 days ago. It could not have

We got a small baby bunny about 7 days ago. It could not have been more that 10 to 12 days old. We called farmers co-op on what to do. They told us to get puppy formula and a small bottle. He wants to eat about every 2 hours just a few drops. He acts like he stays hungry. They told us to get some infant cereal and mix it with the formula. When we got us today he was almost gone after doing so well. His little body was so cold and unresponsive. I kept working with him for about 5 hours getting him warm rubbing and massenging him. We put him in his carrier with a heating pad under the bottom of the carrier. We always kept small blankets in there for him to get inunder, and he did. There would be a little place here or there about the size of a pea where he would tinkle. One whole half of a blanket was soaken wet and he had lost a lot of weight. Right now he is doing ok. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I do not want a trial membership just this one 38.00. My husband an I are already straped financially because of me being in the hospital and sick. We just can't afford it.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Young bunnies dehydrate easily. You can give children's pedialyte, every 2-3 hours, if necessary. The bunny should be started on the pedialyte solution first and then increase the strength, and amount, of the formula with each subsequent feed. Feed just plain pedialyte for the first 24 hours. Then add 25% formula to 75% pedialyte for two days. Than make it 50:50 for two days. Then change over to formula and give pedialyte if needed.

Generally syringe feeding works well using a 1 or 3 cc syringe with a tip. You should be able to find one at a drug store.
Generally rabbit neonates can hold about 100 ml per kg body weight. So this one may be able to hold up to 6-7 cc per feed. If his eyes are open and he is nibbling on roughage, one formula feeding per day should be fine. You should be providing a selection of leafy greens and high quality grass hay just a few days after their eyes open. Dark greens, kale, dandelion, collard greens, etc. are good. Chop them up and offer.
You can add a pinch of powdered probiotics to the formula. Probiotics help put good bacteria back into the intestines. Fortiflora, sold at petsmart, is a good one.
Wild rabbits will wean by the time they hit 200 grams and are ready to release.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."