Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  Mixed animal veterinarian specializing in equine, bovine, small ruminant, and camelid species as well as pot bellied pigs.

My baby pig 7 1/2 weeks old, weaned, just got up fast - startled.

Customer Question

• My baby pig 7 1/2 weeks old, weaned, just got up fast -She could not get her balance. For about 5 minutes she was walking sideways and fell over the water pan twice. She is very good quality and has not had any problem of any kind up until now. She has had 2 shots for Mycoplasma ((Myco Shield) and one for Parapleuro Shield a week ago one Friday. They are eating grain (Moormans crumbles) .
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I want your answer. I read some other information on line yesterday. The piglet was also shivering. I gave her 1/2 ml of lincomix. She weighs about 25 pounds. She acted normal last night. i am worried about this behavior. Sounds like a rare arithtus maybe.

Thank you ….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right professional for you! Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the professionals from accessing your question. You will receive an email when your professional has responded. If you want to cancel, please let me know, and I will do that for you. Thank you for your continued patience.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Matt, a large animal vet. I see a large number of pigs in my practice. How has your pig been acting since the episode you're describing? Has she shown any signs since? Is there any chance she ate anything she shouldn't have?
Older pigs can develop disc problems that can sometimes cause signs like that but it'd be very uncommon in a pig as young as yours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is acting normal today. No she has not been exposed to any other feed. She acted that way yesterday for about 2 hours. After I vaccinated her she seemed okay.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
So this didn't occur associated with the vaccine, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You answered my question with another question. I did not learn anything. Poor Rating. Mary Burrier

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
I'm trying to get a better understanding of what's going on to provide a better answer. Without knowing more about the circumstances surrounding the episode it's difficult to narrow down a cause.