Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

I have a 3 yr old boston terrier and is very active 3 days

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old boston terrier and is very active 3 days ago she was playing jumped up on the couch and back down all in one motion and started yelping and hurting and didn't put any weight on her back leg for the rest of the night I moved all joints put slight pressure to all parts of her paws ankles hips back and bottom of her paws and she gave no reaction of pain I don't know what she did the next day evening time she was running on it again but certain times will still walk without weight on it
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm sorry to hear about Maggie's injury. So she'll use this back leg now most of the time, running and playing on it, but occasionally holding it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Optional Information: Type of Animal: boston terrier Animal's Gender: Female Animal's Age: 3 Name of Animal: maggie What have you tried so far?: I massaged and rubbed her hips legs ankles back and bottoms of her feet try to isolate the pain but no reaction of pain at first I thought she might of pushed het toe nail back but I rubbed them and she done nothing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
there was no answer was repeating symptoms of my dog to me
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delay Greg, I am currently typing up a response. It will be done in a couple minutes. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
not satisfied at all
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Greg, I asked a question in my first inquiry that would help me to get the answer from you. Is she still walking on that keg most of the time but occasionally holding it up? Is she limping on it consistently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes she walks and runs on it but still favors it once and a while and this has not occurred since we've had her

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes sometimes she will still limp on it

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about having some initial communication issues here. The interface sometimes can be challenging. In a way, I'm a user of the site like yourself and have the same challenges. But that aside, let's help Maggie. At this point in time, a rear leg lameness as you are describing could be due to one of the following reasons.

1)  Stifle/knee injury - this is in all honesty the most common.  Could she have torn a cruciate ligament, or another ligament in the knee?  Tearing or partial tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament is the most common.  With partial tears, the she can exhibit a temporary lameness and then after some rest seem to be as good as new. They will usually re-aggravate the injury, or tear the ligament completely.  Your veterinarian can diagnose the problem by checking for a cranial drawer sign which may need to be done under anesthesia or sedation.  Here is a very good link discussing an ACL tear further

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1975

2) General soft tissue injury - this is like a deep muscle bruise or twist of a joint - similar to a sprain or strain.  Pretty common and usually gets better with time and rest.

3)  Arthritis flare up.  Some can have acute stress or over activity that cause arthritis to flare up to a more visible level of discomfort. Pretty unlikely with her given her age unless there is some degenerative situation with her hip.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1916

4). Medial patellar luxation. This is a situation where the knee is popping in and out of place due to the patellar ligament being loose. This has to be a consideration for her. Here is a link on it.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2448

At this time with her and how she's doing, I would give her a week of rest and restricted activity to see how she responds to it. The hope is that it is a soft tissue issue that just needs some time to heal - the sprain situation. If she's not getting better or gets worse, then a evaluation by your vet is needed. I want to help as much as can so please let me know what questions all this has created.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try and keep her from being crazy active and see if it being soft tissue will hopefully heal... one other thing as far as her stretching straight out when she first goes out is that any kind of issue of concern

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Most of the Boston's I've had the pleasure of knowing we're balls of energy and excitement! You do have your hands full with Maggie! Try your best. Being on leash when outside and in a crate inside is best if possible. The stretching shouldn't be a concern at this time of something specific. Hopefully that is just her getting ready to be mobile and getting her muscles stretched. I'm pretty optimistic here with her here at this time Greg!