Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian since 1994. Special interests include pet birds and canine behavior.
36050890

my puppy 9 mnths has severe diarhea,foXXXXX XXXXX color she ran

my puppy 9 mnths has severe diarhea,foXXXXX XXXXX color she ran away today and came back licking her lips she eats poop of all kinds,we have rabbits,raccons,rats around my home.They also fertilied the grass.I just gave her some pepto bismo.Is there any thing else I should do?She really seems sick and restless,I also have her broyher and he seems okay but he doesnt eat poop.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Sophie.. I'm so sorry she isn't feeling well and I know what it's like to worry.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click the REPLY tab.

Dr. Jo :

Then we can chat back and forth

Dr. Jo :

Because we cannot know for certain what all Sophie may have been exposed to today when she took off, the safest recommendation I can make is to take her to and emergency center for a full workup. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are a lot of thing out there that can make an inquisitive puppy very ill or even be fatal.

Dr. Jo :

That being said, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is something simple that will pass without much trouble at all.

Dr. Jo :

Signs that this is most certainly an emergency include ....

Dr. Jo :

Excessive vomiting, tremors, seizures, and trouble breathing.

Dr. Jo :

Pale mucus membranes (they should be pink) are also a serious sign.

Dr. Jo :

Significant abdominal pain should also be taken very seriously.

Dr. Jo :

If she is acting like normal Sophie and just has really bad diarrhea, that's less of a concern. I - for one - am worried, though because you said she's acting really sick and restless. I don't like that.

Dr. Jo :

If taking her to an emergency center is not an option, the best thing to do is withhold all food and water for the next 12 to 24 hours.

Dr. Jo :

This will give her digestive tract a chance to empty, rest, and heal itself.

Dr. Jo :

It would also be very wise to observe good hygiene when handling Sophie and cleaning up after her. This could be due to an infectious disease (something like giardia or coccidia) that could also make you sick.

Dr. Jo :

You will also want to keep her isolated from her brother in case this is spreading.

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, there are no home remedies that are indicated, especially since we really don't know exactly what the problem is or how serious it is.

Dr. Jo :

My computer indicates you are typing. Good. Let me know what other questions you have and I'll do my best to help. Just click the REPLY tab.

Customer:

thankyou,I will watch her,she seems a bit calmer now and she,s trying to go to sleep,I HAVE GIVEN HER 3 BATHS TODAY,and shes pooped in house twice so cleaned up pretty good but I,ll disinfect the area better/ As i,m typing she asleep.

Dr. Jo :

Good. I'm glad she has settled down.

Customer:

Not so good at uesing a computer,but thank you for your expertess,I really appreciate it/

Dr. Jo :

Yes, be very careful to minimize your exposure and the exposure of your other pup.

Dr. Jo :

I hope she heals quickly.

Dr. Jo :

After you withhold food and water, start with water only for the first 24 hours. Resume food in small amounts after you're sure she can handle the water.

Dr. Jo :

Knock on wood, she'll feel a lot better by morning.

Dr. Jo :

Please remember you can always post more to this thread later, even after we've left the chat. I'll be notified of your reply via email.

Dr. Jo :

I want to be as helpful as I can, and you're doing a great job with the computer. :-)

Dr. Jo :

If there isn't anything else I can help you with at the moment, simply click to indicate how you feel about the service you received to leave the chat.

Customer:

all the best dr and thank you again....

Dr. Jo :

I'll look for an update from you in the morning. Thank YOU for using our website. Good night, Sophie. Feel better soon!

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian since 1994. Special interests include pet birds and canine behavior.