Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

Hi my 1 year old German Shepards left eye turned light cloudy

Hi my 1 year old German Shepard's left eye turned light cloudy blue.The vet treated itwith cortisone gtts and shot, then later decided it might be glaucoma and prescribed 2 different gtts. o.s. pressures were in the 50's o.d. pressures were in the teens.o.s. pressures dropped into 30's but pupil will not react.he says he feels she has permanently lost her sight in that eye. Opinion?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

DrBruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Lacie.

DrBruce :

I'm sorry to hear that she is having problems with her eye at such a young age.

DrBruce :

Unfortunately, if the pressure in Lacie's eye has been elevated for several weeks, the likelihood is very high that the damage to the optic nerve is permanent. The longer the pressure in the eye is elevated, and the higher that the pressure goes, the more likely vision loss is irreversible.

DrBruce :

More often than not, the goal at this point is to lower the pressure so that Lacie is comfortable. There are other options besides the drops that can get the pressure down into a pain free range. There is a procedure that decreases fluid production in the eye by freezing the cells that make the fluid. There is another procedure where gentocin is injected into the eye whereby the cells that produce the fluid in the eye get damaged and lead to lowered pressures.

DrBruce :

Either way, the end result is a lowering of the pressures in the eye, and ultimately, a more comfortable eye. As long as the other eye is normal, then Lacie can adjust and get along fine.

DrBruce :

The pressures in the other eye need to be monitored occasionally since the likelihood of developing glaucoma in the right eye is significantly higher than in a normal dog.

DrBruce :

I would strongly suggest seeking out a veterinary ophthalmologist to evaluate Lacie and to help make the decision about what to do with her left eye. You can find a specialist near you by going to this website. http://www.acvo.org/ Scroll down and on the right side of the page is a link to "Locate an ophthalmologist".

DrBruce :

I hope this helps and that Lacie is feeling better very soon. If there is anything else I can do for you, reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery