Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

my dog is trembling, doesnt want to move, has cold feet and

Customer Question

my dog is trembling, doesn't want to move, has cold feet and very red gums, audible breathing which seems to be SLIGHTLY labored
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Are all of Bobby's feet cold or just the back feet?

Is he dragging his hind legs on the floor?

Is he vomiting or having any diarrhea?

Does he seem uncomfortable when you squeeze his belly or push on his back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just front feet are cold

not dragging limbs

no V&D but he did have a stomach upset (gurgling tummy) 2 days ago

he moves very slowly and carefully

when I press on his back the muscles contract. He did not want to go for a walk this morning

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Bobby is trembling and is breathing more labored then normal. Without examining him giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult, though I can tell you some of the more common disorders that could be causing his symptoms. Back or neck pain would be the most likely reason why he is contracting his muscled when you press on his back. This can be due to multiple reasons, here are some of the possibilities:

- IVDD - intervertebral disc disease - basically a bulging disc in the spine that causes some pressure on the spinal cord, back muscles. This can be mild enough to cause some pain or unfortunately more severe to where the disc material pushes on the spinal cord enough to cause paralysis to the back legs.

- Muscle strain/sprain or soft tissue injury - This is the same thing that happens commonly in people. The muscles tighten up and can cause quite a bit of discomfort.

Other possibilities such as tick borne diseases, trauma to the bones and infections are possible but are less common.

At this point, resting him is the best way to make sure that he does not get worse. I would definitely recommend taking him to your vet soon for some pain medications as this is what he will need, but you can give him some aspirin for pain until you can get to your vet. His dose would be 10 mg per kilogram (5 mg per pound) every 12 hours. This should help with some of the pain. Aspirin is usually very safe though some dogs will develop an upset stomach therefore I would recommend stopping the aspirin if you see any vomiting or diarrhea.

Make sure that he does not start dragging his legs as this would indicate a worse problem. If this is seen he should be seen by a veterinarian right away. His red gums may be due to breathing more heavily though this could also be caused by gum disease or infections in his gums which would be unrelated to his current symptoms. I would watch him closely tonight though. If the aspirin alone is not giving him any pain relief do not hesitate to take him to a vet to get a pain medication called Tramadol which is more potent then aspirin.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fiona,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bobby. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really appreciate the follow up. Your message to us on Saturday night allowed us the peace of mind to rest Bobby and give him pain relief over the weekend before we took him to the vet yesterday. On examination the vet (who knows him well) thought that it might well IVDD. He has had antiflammatories and is now a much happier dog. Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! Glad to hear that Bobby is doing much better!