Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I have a 4 yr old golden lab. She has been bleeding from her

I have a 4 yr old golden lab. She has been bleeding from her rectum. Our local vet wants me to take her to a surgen because she thinks it is a tumor. The problem with that is that the surgen she recommended is 65 miles from home. When I called them they wanted to see her for a consultation first and then set it up for surgery.
My problem is that would mean 3 or more trips to this surgen. I need to find one closer to home. Would bleeding from her rectum usually mean that it is a tumor?
Hello, and welcome,

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. " Would bleeding from her rectum usually mean that it is a tumor ? " : Well bleeding from the rectum can be caused by a number of causes but one of the factors could be cancer of the intestinal tract. This being the case then of course you have to have it investigated as soon as possible ...

2. Some of the other possible causes { Other than cancer } would include such things as inflammatory diseases of the intestinal tract such as colitis, some protozoan parasites, some food poisoning type chronic bacterial infections, bleeding disorders, foreign objects lodged in the intestinal tract ... The list goes on ...

3. Your vet will have a fair idea what is going on if tests such as X-ray, blood tests and faecal sample analysis have been carried out but it would be normal practice for a specialist vet to have an initial consultation and I have sometimes known them to repeat all the test which I had just run the previous week so sometimes it is best just to see the specialist vet ASAP.

I think if the specialist vet has a good reputation for alimentary tract surgery then while it is a hassle for you it could well be best for Duchess if you just go along with what they require. Better that than someone nearer who is less experienced ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Hello again,

Thank you very much for the rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

I would like to contact you in a week if that is OK with you to see how Dutchess is getting on?

Kindest regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no way that I would be able to drive 65 miles to really take care of this problem. By your reply, It would take quite a few trips. Being 77 yrs old and never drove that far and to that address would be very hard for me.I am alone. If this problem continues, I will not let dutchess suffer. I will have to put her down.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear about your problems, it could be that something can be done locally so the best thing to do is to talk the situation over with your local vet.

Remember you still have not got a firm diagnosis so it could still be something minor.

Good luck,