Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I have noticed our bunnies sneezing, one more frequently than

I have noticed our bunnies sneezing, one more frequently than the other..I didnt think that there could possibly be anything going on until i seen that she had a runny nose as well. Is this something that should get looked at? I also seen a flea on one yesterday. they are the fluffiest rabbits i have ever seen, how am i to treat them from that and how do i prevent it
Hello, and welcome,

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. " Is this something that should get looked at? " : Well yes this is something you should have looked at because respiratory diseases can be quite serious and difficult to deal with in rabbits. Also the main treatments would be antibiotics which are prescription drugs so you would probably have to see your vet anyway.

Of course what is going on with your rabbit seems quite minor at present but it could be the early stages of a disease called snuffles so best get it treated early.

Here is a link to an accurate article covering respiratory disease in rabbits so you can research things further : LINK

2. Fleas in rabbits are quite easy to treat but you must be sure you are using the right flea control product because some are toxic to this species. More info on safe products HERE

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible for this to transmit to humans esp young kids?

Hello again Deanna,

Sorry for the slight delay, I am in a different time zone to you and have just come on-line first thing this morning and found your further question.

Diseases very rarely pass from rabbits to humans in the sense that they are infectious diseases so no worries there. However if a young child were to get some of the nasal discharge on their hands and then rubbed their eyes for example then problems could follow, but this would hold true for any contaminated material. Basic hygiene measures such as hand washing should minimise this risk.

Also thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch

Kindest regards,

Hello again Deanna,

I am just getting back in touch to see how your rabbit is getting on.

How are things going at present?