Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

IF THERE IS BRIGHT RED BLOOD IN THE DIARRHEA WHEN THE DOG HAS

IF THERE IS BRIGHT RED BLOOD IN THE DIARRHEA WHEN THE DOG HAS A BM AND IT IS DIFFACULT FOR THE DOG TO HAVE A BM AS SHE DRAGS HER BOTTOM ACROSS THE GRASS. SEVERE DIARHEA FOR SOME TIME . LOCAL VET PLACED HER ON ANTIBIOBICS AND A DIET OF RICE AND HAMBURG. THEN IT CLEARED UP AND RECURRED AGAIN. COULD THIS BE FROM LIVING IN A HIGH STRESS HOUSEHOLD WHERE HER OWNER IS ALWAYS YELLING AT THE DOG AND THE OTHER PEOPLE IN THE HOUSE. IS THIS IBM OR COLITIS OR CHRONS DISEASE OR PARVO. SHOULD WE REMOVE THE DOG FROM THAT ENVIROMENT?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How old is the dog?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Has the dog been dewormed? If so, what is the name of the dewormer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

abbie is 4 years old. since febuary 8th of 2013. when she was a puppy.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Any other symptoms besides the bloody stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

vomiting and loss of appetite. drinking alot of water. having difficult bm.dragging her bottom along the grass as she attempts to have a bm.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when we see bloody stool and diarrhea it is consistent with colitis, your dog has colitis. Possible causes are: infections, auto immune (IBS), tumors, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is not related to stress from yelling in the house or parvo virus. This is what you can do:

1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy Panacur online (amazon.com) and in some pet stores without a prescription.

2- Start her on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store.

3- Continue on a diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

4- If after doing the above the diarrhea continues, then your vet will follow up with some diagnostics like xrays, sonogram and blood work.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how can you say that stress does not cause ibs or colitis? stress is the common denominator for all disease. stress, fear of abuse phycical or emotional causes disease. you really do not think that animals feel stress an anxiety the same as us . they have souls just like us.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I did not say that stress does not cause colitis. This is what I said and will quote: "This is not related to stress from yelling in the house or parvo virus." In other words, I said that this is not related to stress in your dog's case. In cases of stress induce colitis we do not see bloody diarrhea. There is another underlying medical reason for the bloody diarrhea as described above.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.