Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I have a 3yo golden labrador female that has been neutered.

I have a 3yo golden labrador female that has been neutered. She has a bowel motion basically once a day in the morning.

She is on dry food which is calorie restricted. There is no vomiting or refusal of food and she is relatively active. She does not appear to have any discomfort when I press on her abdomen.

A friend says that once a day motion is unusual and I should get Kayla checked out by a vet.She goes to the vet in 5 weeks time for her annual vaccinations. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the question.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and try and advise you.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think your particular problem through and prepare an answer and type things up. I will then get back to you and we can talk things over.

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

Thanks for waiting,

This is a very short answer I know but it 100% covers your question.

1. This does not sound like a problem to me, the chances are this is quite normal and nothing to worry about. How often a dog passes faeces depends on a number of factors such as how often they are fed, what they are fed on and how often they get walks. Passing faeces just once a day could well be normal for some dogs.

2. What to do about it? : As long as there are no other symptoms or health worries then you could just forget the issue.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and will be very glad to talk things over with you further ...

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.

Hello again,

Thank you very much for the good rating and generous bonus, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch

Kindest regards and good luck with Kayla ... ,

Hi Bill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kayla. How is everything going?

Vet Answers
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the follow up. She is sleeping on the floor next to me on the computer and she is eating and drinking normally and just one motion daily. I feel much more relaxed after the conversation with you.

Many sincere thanks

No problem Bill, very glad to have advised you ...