Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Hi there. I had a hamster, which we loved so much we wanted

Customer Question

Hi there.
I had a hamster, which we loved so much we wanted another one. Petsmart has an "all female" policy, so we didnt think there was going to be any issues...
and then 25 days later we had 8 baby hamsters!!
They all did very well, healthy and goofy and loveable and I am planning on keeping them all. I have properly sexed them and as it's been 4 weeks today I need to know how to separate them properly.
Can the boys go into the cage with their dad? Can the girls stay with their mom? Or do I now need 4 cages - boy babies, girl babies, mom, and dad all separate??
Thanks for any help!!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the question.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and try and advise you.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think your particular problem through and prepare an answer and type things up. I will then get back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yay!! This is so neat! Thank you SO much!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

https://plus.google.com/113977984500465768287/posts/inxDeABwdG4?hl=en

(just incase you have a minute... a funny video I made of the baby hamsters playing... it's not a work/soliciting/dumb video, it's just to sorta show you who I am... and who you're helping!)

Thanks for waiting.

Thanks for the further information and video ... :-)

I guess this is a fairly simple reply but I have faced just this sort of situation on a number of occasions and my advice is as follows :

1. Initially try all the males in one cage and all the females in another, you might get away with this as the babies are still quite young.

2. But be prepared and have a couple of spare cages handy because hamsters can often fight if kept in groups and when they do this they are really fierce and can inflict quite severe damage on each other. This is likely to become more of a problem as the babies get older and more mature.

However I have known people successfully keep hamsters in groups so give it a go but the key would be to have larger cages with lots of stuff like tree branches and toys etc. to distract them.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be more than glad to talk things over with you further.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

Saw the video, they are quite big now :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I LOVE that you watched the video!!!!!!

That makes you like a real person! (grin)

They are SO CUTE!!!!

It was a mistake - and happily Petsmart was amazing about their mistake and have given me an epic discount (they love me... I'm "that" girl) since I wanted to just keep them all instead of dumping them back on them to deal with. But it was a very happy mistake. I cannot believe how much I love these little furballs.

Hello again Chrysta,

Well one good thing, all those little guys ended up with the right person ... You!

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX time and value your advice (I was hoping you were going to say that I could at least try!).

What a great service!!!

I will keep a very close eye on how things work out!!

(my email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX) if you are ever interested in updates!

Thank you SO much!

Chrysta Rae

Hello again Chrysta,

Thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

I will contact you in a week to see how you are getting on ...

Kindest regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You delight me!

Thank you!!!

I look forward to hearing from you again!

:-)