How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19146
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have a 1yo cavoodle, he is a not a small dog he is more

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a 1yo cavoodle, he is a not a small dog he is more king charles, he is a good size. I have just found four wrappers from easter egg chocolates on the floor. They are the easter egg's that are the same size as normal eggs. He got up onto the table as one of my girls left her chair out. He is sleeping normally now but I am a little worried should I just watch him or do I need to get him to the vet?
Nicole
Thanks for the question.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be pleased to try and answer your question, but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you answer the following questions concisely.

1.  How long ago did he eat the chocolate?

2.  How heavy is your dog ( in pounds) and have you any idea how many ounces of chocolate were involved?

This is just an information request for which you have not been charged, I am on-line at present and will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

Please note it may take up to twenty minutes for me to consider your problem, perhaps look up some information and then type up your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott,


 


He ate the chocolate about 1- 11/2 hours ago.


He weighs 26 pounds


He ate 4 egg's which weigh .5oz each


 


Nicole

Thanks for the quick reply, that is the info I need ...

Good news, this incident is unlikely to affect your dog in the slightest. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than wags ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed.

 

So if you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 26 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 18 ozs { more than pound! } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. So the 2 ounces { 4 x 0.5 } he did swallow will have little effect.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.

Dr Scott Nimmo and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again,

Thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch 

Kindest regards and good luck with Wags...

Scott
Hello again Nicole,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Wags is getting on.

How are things going after the chocolate incident?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Scott,


Thank you so much for your advice the other night and also your follow up. Wags has done very well with no side effects after being so naughty and getting on the table to eat easter eggs. It was wonderful to be able to get some advice so quickly. Thank you again.


 


Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Great to hear Wags did well ....

Naughty dog!

Regards,

Scott