petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

Ive read that when a pet ingests a button battery that you

I've read that when a pet ingests a button battery that you only have 15-30 minutes or it could cause severe intestinal problems. Is this true? I have called 2 vets and they don't seem worried?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I am glad to see that you are taking Tucson in for an xray. Hopefully it is very soon. The problem with button type batteries is that electrical charge passes through them and they can lead to tissue damage as they pass through the GI tract. The xray will help to locate where the battery is and if it is still in the stomach, it may be able to be retrieved via an endoscope. There is definite reason to be concerned though so it is important to seek veterinary intervention as you are.

Here is a link with useful information about battery ingestion in dogs.

Link here

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the vets I called cannot get him in for hours, should I look elsewhere to get him in sooner?

That would be best. The sooner it can be identified and possibly removed the better. I would try an emergency clinic if there are any 24 hours clinics in your area.

If you would like, I can try to help you locate one. I would need you zip code to do that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I know how to find an emergency vet.

Good luck and please keep me posted as to progress!
Thank you for the positive rating and the bonus. I really do appreciate it. I hope all goes well for Tucson.
Hi Terri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucson. How is everything going?

Dr Z