Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

We just got a dog from a local rescue group. They told us

Customer Question

We just got a dog from a local rescue group. They told us he was now heartworm free, but a vet at the University of Gainesville has diagnosed him with Stage 2 heartworm disease. We also have a pet raccoon that we have raised since it was an infant, now about 6 months old. We have read that raccoons are able to get heartworm. Is there a safe medication that can be used with raccoons? Also, is there a safe flea control that we can use on her?

Thank you!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The good news is that the raccoon cannot catch the heartworm disease from the dog. the raccoon can catch heartworms after being bitten by a mosquito that is infected but this is rare. There is no preventative that is used on raccoons that I would consider safe but the chances of him getting this is very small.

Flea control that is for dogs and kittens such as Adams flea control is safe to use on raccoons in smaller doses. This ingredient is based on the Chrysanthemum plant and is non toxic and very effective.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say Adams Flea control are you talking about the monthly topical treatment? I would assume that I would use the cat type within the correct weight range, is that correct. Is there any difference between Adams Flea control and another brand I may have such as Advantage.or Frontline?

Our real concern in the heartworm. You say it is uncommon, but heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes so I would think if we have one heartworm positive pet the chance of another pet getting it would be greatly increased. Are you familiar with treating Raccoons? I would like to speak with someone that knows about the specific issues to raccoons. I have read on-line that some say raccoons can take the same heartworm and flea medicine as cats and dogs (just adjust for weight) but I do not know if that is based on medical information or just a guess.

I have treated raccoons in practice and in the local zoo although I am not an expert.

Adams flea and tick spray is what I am referring to and this was used in the zoo on the raccoons there with good results.

According to Veterinary Information network, there is no preventative heartworm treatment available for raccoons at this point. Ivermectin has been used on raccoons but I cannot find anything that would recommend any use of heartgard for heart worm prevention. Sorry....

I am happy to opt out if you would like to see if there is another expert that has more information. As far as the research is telling us, raccoons are susceptible to heartworms but rarely come down with this disease.
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about your situation with Petals.

Have a great day!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Petals. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta