Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I just injected my 3 year lab with an intranasal paraiinfluensa

I just injected my 3 year lab with an intranasal paraiinfluensa bordetella bronchiseptica vacine

Drew :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

Injecting an intranasal vaccine, often leads to localized inflammation, and sometimes abscess formation.

Drew :

Each patient is different, so it's difficult to anticipate how serious of a reaction might occur.

Drew :

in some cases, more severe reactions have been reported, such as anaphylactic reactions, and liver failure,

Drew :

so it's going to be very important to watch your Lab very closely for the next several days, and seek veterinary care if anything abnormal is apparent.

Customer:

okay

Drew :

there is no preventative measure to be taken at this point, to avoid complications.

Customer:

I am kind of bummed I asked for an injection not the nasal type. Is there any danger to the dog beyond the skin irritaion?

Customer:

also is he vacinnated?

Drew :

no, the vaccine would not be considered effective when given by a route other than the labeled directions.

Customer:

thanks for your help, I feel so stupid.

Drew :

don't feel too bad --

Drew :

there's vets out there who have made the same mistake!

Drew :

just be sure to watch closely for problems, and seek veterinary care if anything seems unusual (loss of appetite, vomiting, large amount of swelling at injection site, etc).

Customer:

he's going for boarding at a vet tomorrow...

Drew :

ok, I'd suggest mentioning it when he arrives, so that they can keep a close watch on him.

Drew :

and they may want to administer an intranasal vaccine upon admission.

Customer:

okay thanks.

Drew :

you're very welcome.

Drew :

I hope everything goes smoothly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drew
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He never reacted and I administered a second dose as directed in the instructions. I read the MSDS and the material is non-toxic. So, so far, so good. Thanks for checking in. Do you have any idea how long I should watch the injection site?

I am happy to hear that things are going well! I'd watch the area for a few weeks to be safe, since abscesses can sometimes develop over the course of 10-14 days. Beyond that, I think adverse effects are very unlikely.