Dr. Lazarcheff
Dr. Lazarcheff, Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years experience in companion animal medicine and surgery, emergency and critical care

Hello- my 11 year old Australian Shepard started seizing (apparently)

Hello- my 11 year old Australian Shepard started seizing (apparently) about 2 hours ago. He seems coherent, but is barely able to stand and when called walked the wrong direction and into a wall, though he seemed able to hear me. He seems cognizant of his surroundings, but very scared. Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Hi, Sorry about your Aussie,

I have a few questions for you.

Did he have just one seizure or have there been others in the last few hours? Any trauma or toxins possible

Dr. Laz
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems like an almost constant thing. He is an indoor/outdoor dog and was gone for around 4 hours today. It's like his basic motor functions are shot, though he hasn't involuntarily urinated or defecated as far as I know

So more tremors than seizure? Ingestion of insecticides or snail bait can cause signs like that , also some molds. Is there an emergency veterinary service near you??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10 miles or so...I am actually on my way to him now, my girlfriend called me with his symptoms. I would think it would be more like tremors as she said it was almost constant. She did just tell me he'd calmed some, but is very apprehensive if she moves away from him. I'm 20 minutes from there and will check back with you as soon as I arrive. Thank you so much for the prompt replies, please bear with me...

No problem, I'm here all night.

Dr. Laz
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I've seen him myself now, and am still worried though a little less. He jumped up to greet me, but was a bit shaky. She (the GF) told me his eyes were very badly dilated, though they seem near normal to me now. They were almost completely black she said. He hasn't vomited or anything, and has even eaten within the past hour to no ill effect. Any further advice would be appreciated.

The Big problems with tremors regardless of the cause are hyperthermia or high body temp and progression from tremors to more dire things like seizures. Its good he seems better. Often what we do in the ER is give them activated charcoal and muscle relaxants and then flush the toxin from their body with high levels of IV fluids. Isn't too much to do at home unless you happen to have some activated charcoal on hand or can pick some up at the pharmacy.

Dr. Laz
Hi Kevin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Dr. Lazarcheff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems pretty much normal now. He was disoriented and scared throughout that night, and when I roused him to go outside for the first time he was very shaky on his feet, almost like a newborn horse standing for the first time. His eyes were also dilated but they too normalized with time. Once he got outside he got slowly better but tired quickly. There was noticeable improvement in his demeanor, stamina and muscle control every time thereafter though. I guess this would rule out poisoning?

His symptoms were very similar to those suffered by one of my brother's boxers that was susceptible to seizures. I know he's an old boy, I just want him to have comfortable twilight years. Thank you for your correspondence.

Hello again, Any further problems with Charlie? Were you able to get him into to see your veterinarian?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems completely back to normal now, we were just outside playing ball for a good solid hour. As far as the vet goes, he hates them so I only take him when absolutely necessary. Like I said, he's old - I want him to be happy as long as possible, and going to the vet makes him mad (he pouts for days and pees on things of mine).

Thank you for asking

Great news!