Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Please can you tell me what Wet Tail is and the systems? and

Customer Question

Please can you tell me what Wet Tail is and the systems? and what causes it. Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Wet tail is a gastrointestinal disease of the hamster that is characterized by profuse diarrhea due to malabsorption within the compromised gut. (True wet tail is attributed to a bacteria called Lawsonia intracellularis which causes a thickened gut that can be appreciate on autopsy. That said, a lot of people tend to call any diarrhea bug of the hamster 'wet tail'). It can commonly be fatal due to delay in treatment and the severe dehydration that accompanies the diarrhea.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX we see with this condition, we can of course see a wet/soiled backside and watery diarrhea but also depression, lethargy, poor appetite,dehydration (which causes skin tenting, sunken eyes,etc), and hunching (due to GI discomfort). Occasionally, with heavy straining to pass feces, we may see blood in the diarrhea or the hamster can prolapse his rectum.

Now you didn't mention if Beans has diarrhea but if he has then this is not something you want to leave to linger. Hamsters do not have the body reserves that larger animals have and diarrhea can very quickly lead to dehydration and be fatal. Furthermore, we can see poorly hamsters go off their food and this can be an additional complication that you will need to address.

Just in case Beans is suffering here, I will just give you a wee bit of information on the supportive care you may need to start now for him until you can get him checked by his vet and potentially on treatment. (Otherwise, it will be good information for you to have on hand as a plan if he is ever poorly).

Now if he isn't keen to eat his food, then it would be worthwhile to try and tempt him to eat. Try hand feeding him his favorite foods but if he isn’t willing to eat, you may have to start syringe feeding. It is worth speaking to the vet about diets to syringe feed to your hamster. I tend to use Oxbow’s Critical Care feed for anorexic pocket pets. (HERE) or Supreme Recovery diet (LINK) . These are highly nutritious herbivore feeds that can be easily made into a slurry for syringe feeding. And it is much easier to use then trying to create a balanced critical care diet at home. While you are looking into procuring one, you can use veggie baby food in the meantime.

If he isn’t drinking and you are concerned that he might be becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage him to drink by offering fresh water, as you have. But I would consider seeing if he would take some pedialyte (low sugar fruit flavors work best) or diluted Gatorade (50% diluted with water). These will help replenish electrolytes and get some glucose into his system if he hasn’t been eating. You can also give pedialyte via dropper of syringe. A typical dose for animals is 4.8mls per 100 grams of body weight per day (obviously divided over all day drinking). This is just an average but will give you an idea of how much fluid he should be taking in over the course of a 24 hour period (you can add an equivalent amount for what he is losing in diarrhea on top of this).

Furthermore, we do want to make sure he isn’t getting chilly. By keeping them comfortably warm. you can make a safe warmer for your little one from a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before adding it to the cage, to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot (as we don’t want to burn him. If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Alternatively, a heating pad under half the cage (so he can move away if he gets too warm) or a heat lamp can be used. Whichever you technique, you use monitor the temperature closely, since we don’t want to overheat him.

Overall, wet tail is a nasty diarrhea bacterial infection of the hamster that can lead to quick dehydration and without treatment, death. Therefore, if Beans does show these signs then you want to initiate the supportive care I have outlined above and follow up with his vet. They will be able to confirm your concern, provide fluids if he is dehydrated already, and treatment (antibiotics, hamster safe anti-diarrheal medication) to help him clear this infection and avoid its life threatening complications.

And just to note if you do want to have him seen tonight, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients. This means that if you ring the practice, they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their emergency service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check RCVS register (LINK). or you can check here to find your local Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is eating and drinking I have just checked hi cage and his faeces are black and hard. When my daughter held him up it looked like urine around him. could this be that he urinates when asleep?.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am very glad he is eating and drinking, as many people don't appreciate how important it is to keep the doing so, and we'd not want that making him even sicker then he already is.

If you are seeing his backside wet with urine then as you have appreciated, this is not normal for a hamster. The most common cause for this is a bladder irritation caused by a urinary tract infection (UTI). We can often see bacterial infections of the urinary system manifest in this manner (with urine dribbling while they are asleep but also awake) and it can progress to lead to signs of discomfort, straining, passing frequent amounts of urine of small volumes (just as a human with cystitis would). Later stages can be punctuated with lethargy and we can see that urine wetness cause urine scalding of the skin in this area.

In this case, I'd advise that you want to submit a urine sample to your vet for evaluation tomorrow morning (this can be collected if you put Beans in an empty litter box or if he is kept overnight in an cage that is free of bedding). The vet will be able to check the presence of white blood cells (a marker of infection), blood (marker of bladder trauma, often from infection) as well as for the presence of bacteria under the microscope. Additionally, they will check for glucose (a marker of diabetes) as this can be an underlying issue in some hamsters that can precipitate secondary bacterial infection. If bacterial infection is confirmed then antibiotics would be indicated for your wee one (and potentially hamster safe pain relief for he discomfort).

In the meantime, do make sure he keeps drinking (you can tempt him as I outlined above) and you can give him a small volume of aloe vera berry juice (from the health food store or Hollands & Barrett) to help ease the discomfort he may have with his poorly bladder until you can follow up with his vet with the urine sample.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is always appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.