DrEllie, Veterinarian
Experience:  General practitioner with experience in mixed animal medicine.

Goat has urinary calculi but local vet only advised to give

Goat has urinary calculi but local vet only advised to give apple cider vinegar. Does this help if i cant find ammonium chloride
Hi, my name isXXXXX and I hope I can offer you some assistance with Ricardo. First I need some additional information....

1) Is Ricardo having trouble urinating? Does he urinate a large, uninterrupted stream of urine?

2) How was the diagnosis of urinary calculi made by your veterinarian?

3) What type of urinary calculi was found?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Has not gone since yesterday afternoon and vet just asked my sister questions and took no samples. Just told them to give him apple cider vinegar. He is very bloated; does nibble on food. My nieces instructor told her to change feed from the one i would buy her which is the Dumor feed from tractor supply. We have no emergency clinics around here; closest one is 165 miles away. And there are no livestock store open on the weekends. What can we do. Thx

Thank you for the additional information. Did the veterinarian discuss surgical options for Ricardo?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No ma'am, vet did not. Said there was nothing else to do for him. Am giving him a treatment of ammonium chloride but have only like a tablespoon of it

The fact that he has not urinated since yesterday afternoon is very concerning...the urine will continue to build up in the bladder and cause backup into the kidneys, which can result in life-threatening kidney damage and electrolyte disorders. In addition, if left go, the urine could build up and cause the bladder to rupture.

At this point, there is probably a stone blocking the urethra (tube leading from the bladder to the penis where the urine exits the body). In my opinion, the apple cider or ammonium chloride will not dissolve the stone fast enough to save Ricardo.

There are surgical options of fixing the urinary obstruction that some veterinarians can perform. The major problem will be finding a veterinarian in your area that is qualified and has the experience to perform the operation/procedure. Given the information you provided, I would recommend Ricardo go to a veterinarian that can perform the surgery.

Please let me know if you have further questions as I am here to help!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He just died few minutes ago. Thank you for the info

I'm sorry to hear this about Ricardo :-(

Unfortunately, urethral obstruction/urinary calculi are extremely common in wethers