Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

my puppy wont eat and wont come out of his kennel. He threw

my puppy won't eat and won't come out of his kennel. He threw up last night but seemed fine afterward
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I'm so sorry to hear that Ezra is not feeling well. The fact that he threw up last PM and now won't come out of his kennel is concerning for a gastrointestinal illness. With young pups there is always the concern about parvo virus disease. Has he been vaccinated against this, if so how many vaccinations and when?

Customer:

He has had all his worming done and his next vaccinations were coming soon in a couple weeks

Customer:

has not been vaccinated for parvo yet?

Dr. Barbara :

We really should consider this as a possibility then. Parvovirus disease is best treated very early so that we can keep a dog's electrolytes in balance, keep them hydrated, control vomiting, provide pain relief and prevent secondary systemic bacterial infections. The earlier and more aggressive the treatment, the better the chances for a good outcome.

Dr. Barbara :

However, vomiting and lethargy don't always mean they have parvo virus. Just eating something that disagrees with them could be the cause. If Ezra has had access to different foods. . .even getting into the garbage. . .this could be the cause. Also, ingesting foreign objects and possibly having one stuck is not unusual for a puppy.

Customer:

i have caught him eating chunks of sheet rock because Im remodeling upstairs. He eats everythinng he can get ahold of. I will get him treated for parvo but do they die from this?

Dr. Barbara :

Sounds like he is a typical puppy!

Dr. Barbara :

Unfortunately, pups can die from parvo, it is a very serious disease. However, with early treatment they have the best chance. Many pups do also live. . .with treatment. The first thing will be to have your vet run a fecal parvo test. If Ezra is negative for this and continues to not feel well, then you may want to have xrays done to see if anything is stuck in his stomach or intestines.

Customer:

he is foaming at the mouth and he came out of his kennel! I think he just ate something bad but is that foaming a sign of parvo? he's vomiting again. he's puking foam

Customer:

is this signs of parvo. answer this and I will accept and thank you

Dr. Barbara :

Yes, foaming at the mouth as you are seeing is indicative of nausea and this could be parvo virus.

Dr. Barbara :

Hopefully, this is not the case for him. Many things can cause nausea, but we need to rule out parvo virus right away! I hope all goes well for you and Ezra. I'll put you in for a follow up query on my part as I'd like to know how he is doing in a couple of days. Dr. Barbara

Experience: Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
Hi Dan,
How is Ezra doing? I'd really like to know!
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr. Barbara! I brought Ezra to the vet he was tested negative for parvo! Thank Jesus for that! He did however swallow an abundant amount of sheetrock. He has been continually getting better each day with eating and drinking. He is happy and playful even though his appetite is still lacking. The only thing he eats is his puppy treats but they are supposed to be good for him anyways. I have medication that is supposed to help and it seems to be doing so. Thanks for your help and your interest in Ezra! .

How wonderful that Ezra tested negative! Thanks so much for the update. Trust soon the sheet rock and irritation will end and Ezra will be fully back to normal.
I'm sure your vet has Ezra on a DHLPP vaccine schedule now which includes a Parvo vaccine. Just in case no one has told you puppies can begin these vaccines at 7-8 weeks and be vaccinated every 3 to 4 weeks until they are over 16 weeks. Also, Ezra is old enough for a rabies vaccination. Just had to mention this in case your vet in the "heat of the moment" didn't mention these routine vaccs. For future reference :).
Dr. Barbara