Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My 1 week old boer goat buck is unable to stand on front legs.

My 1 week old boer goat buck is unable to stand on front legs. At about 3 -4 days old he starting holding up his back leg. the next day i found him laying down and unable to stand up with out help and he kind of flopped his legs out. I gave him 1 cc of BOSE at 24 hours of age. I gave him another .5 cc when I tried to get him up. Today I gave him nuflor and another .5 cc of BOSE. He is starting to breath hard and getting raspy. he is still trying to nurse as long as mom will hold still. We have them in a small jug stall so he is warm and dry. he has a twin who is doing fine.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy. This certainly may be due to white muscle disease or encephalitis which involves the central nervous system. The BOSE has been given and ones that have this will respond after first injection but may require 2. Since you have given 3, this may not be the cause and may involve the central nervous system. In this case, all you can do is continue with the Nuflor and give supportive care. This involves electrolytes given every 4-6 hrs and milk force fed every 4-6 hrs. It is good to continue trying to get him up. This raspy sound you here is most likely a secondary pneumonia due to the stress and suppressed immune system of this poor little guy.

I would also recommend giving Thiamine injections just to cover your bases. This is all you can do. At this point, the prognosis for your little guy is not good. Their immune system is so immature that he may not be able to fight this off but all you can do is try. This may have been caused by not enough colostrum after birth or white muscle disease. This can only be determined by testing.

Does that make sense to you?

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.