Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Customer Question

looking after my mums Shitzu recently he developed a lump near his anus we took him to our vet (mum is covered with the PDSA) who gave a hormone injection along with antibiotics and our vet whom we trust was hesitant about surgical removal and had no concern re pain or quality of life for lucky.
Upon mums return we have taken him to PDSA with our vets blessing and he forwarded lucky's notes.
However the PDSA vet is saying come back in 2 weeks after prescribing steroids and more antibiotics and if no improvement put him to sleep.

Lucky is in no pain he is eating sleeping and doing what a 13 year old dog does.

Our vet knows us and knows our two dalmatians

One of whom is in a wheelchair.

I am so shocked today by the attitude from the PDSA

Can anyone help and advise pleae
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Did any of the veterinarians do a biopsy or FNA (fine needle aspirate) of the lump?
2- Is the lump above or below the skin?
3- Is the lump bothering him or interfering with him defecating?