CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my cat has a rash over the top of his body its like scabs can

my cat has a rash over the top of his body its like scabs can you possibly advise me what it might be
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

I am sorry that Becks is not well.

- Is he an inside only cat?

- Is he scratching or licking the area?

- Is he on flea prevention?

- Is he the only cat in the house? (if NOT - are there other signs similar in the other pets)?

-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Becks is an inside cat

He is scratching and licking the area

he is due for a flea prevention,

I have 3 cats altogether, all british blues, indoor cats

Hi there,

If due for flea prevention - I would consider giving that now.

Fleas and bacterial infections are extremely common to cause this.

What are other possible causes if truly not an infection?

Environmental as well as food allergies can cause these signs as well.

Common therapies considered for these include:

- Steroids (Prednisone - LINK HERE)

- Antihistamines such as Benadryl (LINK HERE) or Loratidine (LINK HERE).

IF diet is a concern - then a hypoallergenic diet example that is common to use in cats is Hill's Z/D
(LINK HERE)

Finally - there are some cats that will lick themselves so much they get scabs secondarily and there is no known cause.

For these cats, it is thought that OCD/behavioral/anxiety related issues are the cause. (LINK HERE and LINK HERE)

For that as well, they can benefit from steroid injections - but owners also find it beneficial to consider a product called Feliway - LINK HERE or a calming collar (LINK HERE) which emits phermones/hormones that are supposed to decrease stress or anxiety in cats.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites:
CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE

Hi Lynne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Becks. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet