CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My 3 year old siamese has started to develop a gum disease

My 3 year old siamese has started to develop a gum disease in which the gums become so painfully inflamed that eating becomes incredibly painful. He is currently having a cortisone injection every 10 weeks. My understanding is this is some form of auto immune disease. The vet recommends that he has his teeth removed which is a very brutal procedure. Are there any homepathic type options to try. He is still very young and a prolonged cortisone programme will have significant side effects
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

What youare referring to is feline stomatitis.

This link overall will give you a LOT of information about stomatitis which I believe is the condition your cat suffers from:

If not that bad, often these cats are on a combination of antibiotics for infection and steroids for inflammation.

Other therapies include:

- Lysine therapy
- Laser mouth therapy
- Hypoallergenic diet such as Hill's Z/D

Unfortunately, there is no "cure" for this.

If it is truly debilitating and controlling the quality of life, then your veterinarian is correct in that many board certified veterinary dentists -recommend removing the teeth.

This is becausethe problem is that the inflammation and infection which
usually begins in the periodontium, which is the soft tissue surrounding the teeth...this is why in cases that can not be supported - full mouth extractions are considered.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE
Hi Shona,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zak. How is everything going?