Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have an 8 year old toy poodle....treated for a year for coughing.

I have an 8 year old toy poodle....treated for a year for coughing. She has mild tracheal collapse which they say is not her problem. She has been on prednisone for months which is not working any longer and a cough suppressant ( Torbitrol) . I am now weening her from the prednisone because she is drinking way too much. In the past month she has had tracheal biopsy, a bronchial lavage...all normal. Her trachea is severely inflamed I am told. I bought an air purifier and am washing all bedding in hypoallergenic detergent. She is now eating a natural food with lamb. It is not getting better and is worse at night. She is constantly sniffing, sneezing coughing. Any thoughts?
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Does her cough sound like she is hacking or something stuck in her throat?
2- I will assume your veterinarian has ruled out heart disease?
3- Has she had a chest xray?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Her cough is hacking at times and then she gags at the end like there is something in her throat. I am told her heart is perfect, and her chest X-ray showed only very mild tracheal collapse. She constantly is sniffing and sort of snorting. Worse at night.
David, the cough and history you describe is consistent with a collapsing trachea. There is no cure for this condition. We use medications (anti inflammatory, bronchodilators and cough suppressants) to help with the cough. But, these dogs will often need to be on medication life long. If she is not responding favorably on the current medication I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about adding a bronchodilator (Theophylline). In addition, continue on the Torbutrol.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My vet has said that the tracheal collapse is not severe enough to cause her symptoms. She has never been on a bronchodilator. He is convinced that it is a food allergy, but changing food several times has not helped, plus she has had allergy tests which were all normal. I will try to suggest this bronchodilator, or perhaps I will make an appointment with another vet????
Thank you
Is she showing any other symptoms like skin problems, excessive licking of the paws, itchy, etc.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only other symptom she has is excessive thirst and she is constantly licking her lips like her mouth is very dry, which I presume is from the vanectyl-P.
The excessive thirst is most likely from the prednisone as you already know. I have to respectfully XXXXX XXXXX your veterinarian, this does not sound like an allergy problem. I would recommend you speak to your vet about a trial with bronchodilators or a second opinion with another veterinarian.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will speak to my vet about the bronchodilator, and if he doesn't agree, I'll consult with another vet. The dog seems otherwise ok......aside from this constant coughing , snorting and sniffing.
Thank you for your opinion.
Your Welcome.