CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

why is my dog panting while resting and his tongue is turning

Customer Question

why is my dog panting while resting and his tongue is turning blue?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

I am sorry to hear about this concern with Max.

The tongue turning blue is a sign of cyanosis - or LOW oxygen and with the abnormal panting, this is often a sign of a chest, heart, or lung problem.

This can result from:
- Problems with the lungs (pneumonia, fluid, even tumors)
- Heart abnormalities (murmur, arrhythmia, or even heart failure)

If you feel your dog is breathing abnormal, panting excessively, and at time that you would not expect and the tongue is blue - I would strongly recommend seeking veterinary care - with your primary veterinarian or local ER if your veterinarian is not open.

A good examination listening to the heart and lungs is essential. Another test that may be very helpful would be x-rays of the chest looking at the heart and lungs.

Many causes, some life threatening, can be easily ruled-out by a good examination and simple x-rays.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE