CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

18 months ago we adopted a Labrador/Border Collie dog from

18 months ago we adopted a Labrador/Border Collie dog from the RSPCA. A very lovable
and clever dog about 2 years old. About 6 months ago, he started being very anxious in
the car and cried and whined (all the time wagging tail). It has now got to the stage where if one of us(me or my wife) gets out of the car, he barks long and loud (all of the time still wagging his tail).We are both in our mid seventies and he is driving us both mad.
Can you advise us at all.
Donald Nicholas. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donald - Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

Does Sam look nauseous in the car? Drooling or uncomfortable?

Does this ONLY happy in the car?

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no and yes

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

It would be a shame if this ONLY happens in the car to put them on medications that last all day such as prozac.

For this reason - common medications used in veterinary medicine for car anxiety inlcude:

1) Dimenhydrinate (LINK)

2) Acepromazine (LINK)

3) Valium (LINK)

I have also seen many owners use a special toy such as a kong toy and fill the toy with treats - this way they are distracted the entire time and medications are not even needed!

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

You are very welcome!