CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

We have a 12 year old Collie who was diagnosed with Cushings

We have a 12 year old Collie who was diagnosed with Cushings Disease last year. We were told that it was better not to have it treated, but now one vet says to treat and another says not. The cost is going to be quite hard to cover and we don't having to leave him for the ACTH tests. We rescued him 10years ago and the older he gets the more he just wants to stay close to us, we just want him to be happy and comfortable in his old age. Any advice would be very welcome
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

The important question is - is Bruce having any clinical illness as a result of the Cushings?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has bad co-ordination in his back legs, his liver is enlarged and he is on anti-biotics as his nail got infected and had to be removed. He is also on Fucidin ointment for bed sore type infections on his leg joints where the skin is so thin

Hi there,

Thank you for your repy.

Typically this disease is treated when:

- They drink and urinate so much - it is a problem.
- They pant uncontrollably
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- They have skin issues
- There is a liver enlargement and pot belly apperance.

The other concern is that these patients with excess hormone are at risk for throwing clots -notably a lung clut, pulmonary thromboembolism.

This is the main reason(s) we do often recommend treating this disease, especially when they are sick as a result clinically.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We were told that treating the Cushings could throw up other problems that are not showing up at the moment because of the Cushings is this true?

Yes - absolutely - and that is what I was referring to such as the risk of a clot.

Hypertension is also a concern in some cases.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry cross purposes here, is he more at risk of a clot if we treat or if we don't ?

Hi there,

He is MUCH more at risk if you do NOT treat.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist